remote control for toys

marcus77

Joined Dec 24, 2009
I need specs on a toy's 2 ch remote controller.
I've spent many fruitless hours searching the net for info. a schematic would be nice, but i would settle for anything. I need to know freq, pwr output, code, etc. where can I go for technical info? I don't have one I can open up and look at, and all my searches bring back retail sales.

I have also done a lot of reading on how rf rc works, but everything I've found is for higher pwr transmitters meant for broadcasting or data. i haven't yet found anything meant for toys with bout 30 ft range, and with simple controls like on/off. I doubt a toy remote is pic controlled, but i would think it is coded somehow.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I need specs on a toy's 2 ch remote controller.
I've spent many fruitless hours searching the net for info. a schematic would be nice, but i would settle for anything. I need to know freq, pwr output, code, etc. where can I go for technical info? I don't have one I can open up and look at, and all my searches bring back retail sales.

I have also done a lot of reading on how rf rc works, but everything I've found is for higher pwr transmitters meant for broadcasting or data. i haven't yet found anything meant for toys with bout 30 ft range, and with simple controls like on/off. I doubt a toy remote is pic controlled, but i would think it is coded somehow.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
If your talking about those little air hogs they run on iR , if you search around the net many people have hacked their cell phones as controllers.

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
There are plenty of example TX and RX schematics about.
Some examples on this page, in the 27-100 MHz section.
The RC Model link goes to a page with various other details:
http://jap.hu/electronic/rf.html

This one has various encode and decode circuits; the last two (Radio control encoder and decoder) are for the sequential pulse system used by standard RC model control and commercial servos.

http://radio-control-schematics.blogspot.com/

For info, the standard model control coding uses a sequence of timed pulses, one for each channel (eg. six pulses for a six channel system).
Each pulse has it's duration set by the position of the appropriate channel joystick pot or whatever, based on around 1.5mS duration being servo center and 1mS - 2mS representing the travel limits.

The pulses are transmitted with fairly short gaps during the sequence, then a 'long' (roughly 20mS) gap which resets the receive decoder ready for the first channel of the next sequence.

The decoded pulses are simply the outputs of a logic counter like a 4017 and each channel (from one output pin) goes directly to a servo.

The servo internally has a feedback pot that measures it's position; it's internal electronics measure the input pulse and compare this 'command' value to the known position from the pot. If the measures position does not match the command position, the electronics run the motor in the appropriate direction to try an match the positions.