Remote 24VDC Battery Switch Control By Momentary Press Button

Robert101

Joined Dec 3, 2020
Hello
I'm trying to work out a way of controlling a 24VDC Remote Battery Switch by single momentary press button on a yacht with is basically a bi stable switch that has 2 control lines, 1 to close and the other to open. I have attached the specification of the switch.

Had thought about basing the control on flip flops but I'm starting from basic electronic circuit knowledge!

Requirement is 1 momentary button input +24VDC 20ms < 4A to toggle between close and open lines. Needs to be a very robust solution and as simple as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

boostbuck

Joined Oct 5, 2017
If it's working with a changeover switch, why do you want to change it?
Yes, good question. Why is a pushbutton an improvement?

But.... The 'flip-flop' could be as simple as a SPDT relay in parallel with the load, steering a control pulse to either the ON or OFF solenoids. A 20mS pulse is easily generated by a 555, or even just a capacitance, into a transistor to provide the drive current.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I see that the intention is to replace a dual switch that provides separate "ON" and "OFF" functions with a single button to make it an alternate action switch, so that the action will depend on the present UNKNOWN condition. THAT IS A VIOLATION of the electrical code that states "all power switches must have uniform ON/ OFF positions."
Why is that change supposed to benefit?? I regard it as a rather poor choice.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Does the electrical code apply to low-voltage systems on yachts? I suspect not.
My point being that each control having a consistent function is quite a benefit. Having a button that always switches the power OFF, and a different button that switches it ON makes a lot of sense.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
I see that the intention is to replace a dual switch that provides separate "ON" and "OFF" functions with a single button to make it an alternate action switch, so that the action will depend on the present UNKNOWN
My point being that each control having a consistent function is quite a benefit. Having a button that always switches the power OFF, and a different button that switches it ON makes a lot of sense.
Hi Bill.
I suggest you take the time to study the datasheet in the link, ref this image.
It clearly states the changeover switch is:
Momentary, ie: a spring-loaded centre OFF.

The switch operator flips the switch in the desired direction in order to select the Boat's supply.
EG57_ 1819.png supply, then releases the switch lever. The remote circuit has latching relays which hold the current selected state.

So the switch sends a pulse to the selected latching relay.

Note: there is also a mechanical latch which can be set that prevents the change over switch from changing the boat's power source, required for safety in maintenance

It is NOT as your quoted posted suggestion, in using a simple On/Off switch.

The TS suggested a Bistable operated by a push button so that he could toggle the remote latching relays, but it would also require some form of monostable in order to send just a single pulse to selected relay.

E
EG57_ 1817.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Posts #1 and #3 suggest that the goal is a single push-button. That is not what is described in the various links.
My caution is about the issues related to what appears to be the goal, which does not seem to be what the links present.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Tell that to the people who make devices with remotes. Using a single universal remote to turn on or off 3 devices has frequent failures where they get out of sync. Separate ON and OFF buttons would fix that. I guess 34 buttons was all they could fit!