Remember that this is Homework Help and not Homework Done For You

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
EDIT: A friendly and private "Reminder" from a moderator when someone overzealously tries to help and solve it for them should be all that is necessary.
Sam,

Over the years I have seen or stated numerous "friendly reminders" and the overzealous still persist. Yes, this is a common occurance in just about any forum that has a section titles homework help.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Hi,
In this site instead of doing HW some people are giving HW. This trend is fine for knowledge lovers. But it should not extend too far. If the moderator gives any HW he must tell the answer also.
Zulfi.
If a member "gives" homework, it is still incumbent on the "receiver" of the homework to do the requisite work for said "homework" prior to getting an "answer". Guidance is not "giving homework". Guidance typically wants clarification.

Yes the members here more likely or not can discern the actual problem, but seeking clarification from the thread starter ensures the thread starter has the same clarification of the problem.

If all they want is an answer, there are plenty of paid sites that will provide the answer for anyone. Naturally, correct answers may cost more than just an answer.

on edit:

Don't forget one is expected to do some "associative learning", you know expand their knowledge based on what they have previously learned. Giving "homework" is also trying to discern what the thread starter knows and where they went off track.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
This would require a forum add-on or modification. But I’d appreciate if under the users ranking, “Homework Help” appeared. This would be useful, in all forums, actually!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This would require a forum add-on or modification. But I’d appreciate if under the users ranking, “Homework Help” appeared. This would be useful, in all forums, actually!
Not sure I follow the objective here. What does it mean for a user to be "Homework Help"????

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
No, I didn’t explain it clearly. I see the banner like this:

Joe Electron​
New Member​
In Homework Help​

I commit the sin of providing an answer when there are several preceding posts and I don’t realize I’m in “Homework Help”.

Then generally, I realized that I often scroll to the top to find out what sub forum I am in. So this could be a global change.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
No, I didn’t explain it clearly. I see the banner like this:

Joe Electron​
New Member​
In Homework Help​

I commit the sin of providing an answer when there are several preceding posts and I don’t realize I’m in “Homework Help”.

Then generally, I realized that I often scroll to the top to find out what sub forum I am in. So this could be a global change.
Okay, I see what you are getting at.

Something like that might be useful, but that specific approach might be interpreted by others as indicating which forum that member is currently viewing (I've seen that on other forums). Generally, you want information in that panel to be information that is specific to and potentially different from one member to the next.

But the idea certainly has merit.

A better place to put it is in/near the response dialog box itself. Perhaps something like:

Example.png

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Okay, I see what you are getting at.

Something like that might be useful, but that specific approach might be interpreted by others as indicating which forum that member is currently viewing (I've seen that on other forums). Generally, you want information in that panel to be information that is specific to and potentially different from one member to the next.

But the idea certainly has merit.

A better place to put it is in/near the response dialog box itself. Perhaps something like:

View attachment 200212
I get your point! Your location is much better. I think you also get my point.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Something along the lines of the necroposting warning would maybe help folks remember when posting to homework. Sounds like a winner to me. It might also help the TS to remember it is homework HELP not DONE forum.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Something along the lines of the necroposting warning would maybe help folks remember when posting to homework. Sounds like a winner to me. It might also help the TS to remember it is homework HELP not DONE forum.
If this is a winner, winner, chicken dinner, it’s time to let @jrap chime in.