relay or ic with multiple outputs based on varying input voltage

shmali

Joined May 4, 2011
I've got this pet project i'm working on, wiring up an ir sensor to a computer serial port. The sensor has a varying voltage based on proximity to the sensor (.5v to 3v). I'm looking for a relay/ic/other component that would take the varying voltage as an input and at 2 or 3 different levels trigger relays to a common source. I imagine it would look something like this:

at .5v pin/wire A would be connected to src
at 1v pin/wire B would be connected to src
at 1.5v pin/wire c would be connected to src

where src would probably be 5v constant.

This could either be each pin stays connected/on as the next one is toggled or they toggle off as the next pin is switched on.

I could probably build the logic using resistors or low voltage relays. Just curious if there is a better way

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jack Puddin

Joined May 4, 2011
Hmm Going to need a bit more info before we can really help ya. Are you planning on tapping into the serial port for this power? How fast are you looking for this thing to operate?

shmali

Joined May 4, 2011
I would probably pull power externally, maybe from a usb port as it provides more power than the serial port or with an external adapter. The varying input could be generated/changed as fast as 39ms per cycle but it will be based off user input so realistically it could be slower 100ms maybe 200ms.

Thanks for you help, if you need more information let me know.