Relay drive using NE558

Laserdog

Joined May 3, 2008
Can anyone revise the 555 circuit of this thread to use the NE558. I am in a remote location and trying to use parts that i have available (cant find a 555). The 558 is just supposed to be a quad 555 but I am a bit confused since the orginal 555 had about 8 pins and the 558 has 16? I looked at the data sheets for both components but have no idea how to exchange the 558 for the 555.

Last edited by a moderator:

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
laserdog, I have relocated your question to its own thread.

It is best for you to start your own threads rather than append them to an existing thread. This permits your thread to receive the attention it deserves from our members while at the same time avoiding disruption in the flow of an existing thread.

Enjoy your AAC experience and be sure to visit the ebook at www.allaboutcircuits.com at your earliest opportunity. You will find it a terrific resource and learning aid.

hgmjr (moderator)

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Can anyone revise the 555 circuit of this thread to use the NE558. I am in a remote location and trying to use parts that i have available (cant find a 555). The 558 is just supposed to be a quad 555 but I am a bit confused since the orginal 555 had about 8 pins and the 558 has 16? I looked at the data sheets for both components but have no idea how to exchange the 558 for the 555.
check this site
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/philips/NE558_3.pdf

but as i can see the control voltage pin and the reset pin is common for all the four timers. If you want to use just one of them just select one!!! you can choose for example timer A with output A, trigger A and timing A. ignore the other. Note that the 555 is not pin compatible with the 558!!

Laserdog

Joined May 3, 2008
OK a little background before the next question. I was following a thread for a timer with 1 min. on and 10 min. off for a boat livewell aerator (pump) relay. The circuit provided used a 555 timer. The R1R2C1 input network was provided to pins 7 (discharge) and pin 6 (threshold) on the 555 schematic from the projects forum.

The problem I have now is that the 558 does not have pins 6 & 7 (discharge and threshold) for each timer. So the question is would I put the R1, R2, C1 network across timingA and triggerA of the 558 to provide the same output results?

Hopefully I answered my own question but would welcome any input, comformations, or comments.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
OK a little background before the next question. I was following a thread for a timer with 1 min. on and 10 min. off for a boat livewell aerator (pump) relay. The circuit provided used a 555 timer. The R1R2C1 input network was provided to pins 7 (discharge) and pin 6 (threshold) on the 555 schematic from the projects forum.

The problem I have now is that the 558 does not have pins 6 & 7 (discharge and threshold) for each timer. So the question is would I put the R1, R2, C1 network across timingA and triggerA of the 558 to provide the same output results?

Hopefully I answered my own question but would welcome any input, comformations, or comments.
You need only to connect the capacitor between the timingA and ground and the resistor between timing A and positive supply voltage. You will use the trigger to start the timer counting time with a pulse.