Relay diode

Blackbull

Joined Jul 26, 2008
I wish to switch a voltage supply from one op - amp to another via a relay, will it be necessary to place a protection diode across the relay coil? That is will the back emf damage the op – amp?
Many thanks.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Many relays have coil diodes already installed. If yours doesn't, post a schematic like bertus suggested and we can help.
And yes, it is to suppress back-EMF.

Blackbull

Joined Jul 26, 2008
Thanks for the replies Retched and Bertus; will try to sort a schematic, it is still in my head at the moment. I was reading that the protection diode has an adverse affect on the reliability and life of the relay, otherwise I would have put one in anyway.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I was reading that the protection diode has an adverse affect on the reliability and life of the relay, otherwise I would have put one in anyway.
Only in very very rare occasion (0.1%) that the speed of contact opening must be realized in an extremely short time and the current flowing via the contact is high.

I have never encountered such a case.

So in 99.9% of all cases one would definitely benefit from fitting a diode across the relay coil.

ifixit

Joined Nov 20, 2008
Hi,

Placing a diode across the relay will slow down the drop-out time and therefore lengthen the time the contacts must sustain an arc. This shortens the contact life. How much, is application dependant.

However, if the relay is switching at low voltages and current, as in your case, then there is no arcing anyway so adding a diode will not effect the life of the relay.

An alternate solution is to use a snubber circuit (RC in series) across the relay driver. The back EMF will still go above the supply, but so long as it is limited to less than the Vbr of the driver, then no harm is done, and relay drop-out time is vertually not effected.

Relay coils are large inductors and should not be driven directly with an opamp unless the opamp is designed for that purpose.

Regards,
Ifixit