1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) for several hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

Relay contact protection.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by martian, Sep 5, 2008.

1. martian

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Hi All.
    I'm doing a small job at my inlaws, who have a lovely big garden, this is lit partly by a few 100 watt bulkheads, but mainly by 2x150 watt and 2x250 watt metal halide lamps.
    I sugested that they would be better off on a timer system, and that I would help him, he really isn't mechanicaly inclined so I'm in the process of building him a cheap timer box, and have gone for a 30 amp 240v relay, (the price difference between 15 20 and 30a relays was so small I thought I'd over engineer it), but I've been reading up and it seems the inductive kick at switchoff from these type of lights is quite big, so I was wondering what was the best way to help protect the relay contacts, (I dont want it to burn out after six months and look a chump). would a Metal Oxide Varistor be suitable, seeing they are so cheap, or would you suggest a different method?
    TIA

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    You can you a varistor (transient suppressor) with a voltage rating of about 500-600 volts in parallel with the lamps to suppress this kickback voltage.