Relay Chatter but not all the time

Blterrell

Joined Jun 19, 2024
So I’m in the beginning stages of building a powered controller for heating blankets for nitrous oxide bottles. It’s a simple design that uses a drill battery 18v to be exact along with two powered switches. The circuit runs through a 25amp circuit breaker which feeds the switch and 24v relay. Then out to the heater. From time to time I get chatter in the relay. What could be the cause and what could be a simple fix? I’m using 30 as the main power, 86 pin as switched 85 as ground and 87 as feed. I’ve read about the use of a capacitor but I’m getting mixed directions on proper connections of the capacitor and which capacitor to use. Forgive me as I’m a hobbyist that isn’t very versed in this world but has excellent understanding of how these simple devices should work. I’ve been told by a few others this is normal but I don’t think so. Thanks in advance.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Likely causes are coil voltage too low or switched current too low.

How much current are you switching?

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
A Drill-Battery is not going to last very long running a Heating-Element of any substantial Power-rating.

What You may be experiencing is the "Voltage-Sag" of the Battery making the
Battery-Voltage too low to operate the Relay,
which is already trying to operate on an inadequate amount of Voltage,
and the Voltage drops even further because of the Heater-Load.
Then when the Heater is temporarily disconnected by inadequate Voltage at the Relay-Coil,
the Battery-Voltage then rises-up again enough to re-energize the Relay.

Lather-Rinse-Repeat,
You have now created a "Buzzer" from a standard Relay.