Relay best to use ?

darkninja462

Joined Jan 16, 2012
I am completely new to this, been about 6 years since I last had ago at Electronics work. But i am trying to get back into it.

My project is to use the HDD LED activity output to trigger a chasing LED circuit. so I belive that the HDD LED runs on 3.3v ? and would be looking to use a 12v Chasing LED circuit, I thought about a relay, but it has been such a long time, I think I can remember that there not good with constant on/off functions ?

Regards
-Ninja

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Well, you can learn a lot about basic electronics here. But why do you want to fool around with the HDD LED? There many other fun things you can do. Like a little robot thingy that drives the cat crazy.

darkninja462

Joined Jan 16, 2012
I am in the process of making my computer case from scratch and rather than having the standard 1 HDD activity LED, i would like to have something that looks like the knight rider car led chasing lights :)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Really mrChips? the epic data arm thread? I suspect Bill_Marsden will be along shortly and post his LED project, which is what you are looking for. Or just search through his posts; it comes up a lot.