Relay Basic help

Harrington

Joined Dec 19, 2009
There is one more point now that you want to provide twin relay support

Could you tell me how you want to switch the relays can you provide a truth table for this in the form of

Or perhaps you may whish to have different operations

I need this information before I can code the chip for you

Cheers

Mark

Last edited:

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
Harrington Save yourself the trouble i appreciate it any way but i should have used Ken's idea i understand now

Ken- What do you mean input capacitor?
Will this work with any sound switch?
Will the relay Latch and unlatch with each press of the button (press latch, press again unlatch)?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Ken- What do you mean input capacitor?
Will this work with any sound switch?
Will the relay Latch and unlatch with each press of the button (press latch, press again unlatch)?
If you check the web page you will see a link to the assembly manual http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/elec/k-36.pdf. There is a schematic near the end.

After looking at it some more, I'm not sure it will work with your chime output. It looks like it will respond to two, separated audio pulses at the input, but not a continuous one like the chime. Again I don't know what the audio chime output looks (sounds) like. Is it music or a bing-bong?

Ken

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
Ok
you can choose different ones but i chose the longest one, it goes like this
Ding, Ding, Ding, Doooooog, Ding Ding Ding Donggg.
Low Higher Highest

if this sound switch latches and unlatches when it detects sound that is all i want so i just connect the wires from the doorbell (were speaker was) into the microphone input and this may work, or connect the speaker ontop of the microphone but i would prefer no sound

Remember i need this on christmas day so im sorry to rush you and sound like an A**hole but there is only 3 more sleeps!!

Chris

Harrington

Joined Dec 19, 2009
No problem at all you are welcome Out of interest just had a look at the circuit, very quick glimpse Yes As ken says it will do the job however You only get one relay out of this and you could have also done exactly the same again with a pic processor on the interrupts using a low pass filter and dc clamp The other let down of any sound activated switch is What?? Its susceptible to other noises which means sporadic switching Point of interest for you rather than anything else

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Ok
you can choose different ones but i chose the longest one, it goes like this
Ding, Ding, Ding, Doooooog, Ding Ding Ding Donggg.
Low Higher Highest

if this sound switch latches and unlatches when it detects sound that is all i want so i just connect the wires from the doorbell (were speaker was) into the microphone input and this may work, or connect the speaker ontop of the microphone but i would prefer no sound

Remember i need this on christmas day so im sorry to rush you and sound like an A**hole but there is only 3 more sleeps!!

Chris
You need the shortest sound output from the chime. Bing-bong will probably be what you want to trip the relay on or off, since it's designed to trip with two claps...two sound peaks. Getting awfully short to experiment. :(

Its susceptible to other noises which means sporadic switching Point of interest for you rather than anything else
The speaker is removed and the output is connected to the clapper's input. No extraneous sounds.

Ken

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
I have made thhe doorbell latch a relay when i press the button, (i press the button and the relay latches) all i need now is to make the relay unlatch with the same power now if i have 2 relays like this bear with me:
the power is connected and the speaker wires are connected to the relay through the resting conracts of another relay, when i press the button it will latch one relay and that relay will power the speake wire relay to flick across, the speaker wires are now away from the previously latched circuit, now they are free when i press the button again the relay that the speaker wire is connected to will power like an opto-isolator or a light activated relay to take the power off the latched relay unlatching it.

Sounds like it could work in theory but so does everything

and i am not sure i want to make the sound switch as my dppr bell hase the chimes with 2 sets of ding dongs so it will go on then off and back to square 1

Is there a SIMPLE circuit that detects these pulses or 3V and activates a relay because that would be perfect

i heard a person early in the comments mention what i am saying now i am confident it can be don without any circuitry

Chris

Last edited:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Told you use a pic micro much easier and you get relay control and you get what state you want the relays in Never mind keep thinking
Though I'd go with that too. Purchasing a programmer, downloading software, and learning programming in three days is a little much. ;)

Ken

Harrington

Joined Dec 19, 2009
Well you can now purchase a programmer / development kit from a number of places Ken or you can even use what they call ISP "In circuit programming " which uses boot loader code so that you essentially build the circuit and then program in circuit via serial port or using usb Maplins do them Not very expensive or you can even make your own programmer and then use MPLABs free download from Microchip . com Ok you would have to program in assembler but if you really want a good opinion there isn’t actually a better way to learn this rather than going straight to high level languages from the word go
Easy enough if you change Ic to 16F84A /04 to start with Always a good place to start

They also do quite a good compiler now which is called Boost C and Boost C++ if you have done any OOP programming Its not very much different to ordinary turbo C with functions pre written for you + templates
There is also another very good company if you have ever done anything like Visual basic although they will crucify me for saying this but the syntax of the language is similar but they like it called Proton Basic and I believe there is now a new version available which is .net orientated in syntax i.e the type of syntax it uses by this I mean the way in which you type this “Please forgive me for not being politically correct Proton “

All very very worth while investments especially if you are going to attempt projects which involve what you might term as Industrial control Lets face it 4001 series is still not out of the window but practically speaking we should now be thinking in terms of how do I make an Integrated circuit behave in one instance as a shift register and in another instance as a logic gate and in another instance as a multiplexer here we start to appreciate the real meaning of green world reusable Cpu’s and architecture

Finally we now move towards embedded control of intergarted peripherals via RF Bluettooth and TCP/Ip with an emphasis in the IP addresses kettle Would you belive you can actually program these Chips to TCP IP stack Turn them into rs232 rs434 etc etc Hmmm Are you going to sit there or will you be moving ahead with the times not that I dont think they should still learn this but you have start thinking in terms of the future

Harrington

Joined Dec 19, 2009
Not forgetting Arm Atmel Atiny These are now the technologies that they must learn in order to keep up with the rest of the world not to mention all the other programming langauges associated with embbeded control Industrial electronics Mobile communications Home automation Power supplies Class D amplifiers etc etc etc etc Aaaaah Quite some significant task and then we need to intergrate with modern web technologies such as asp .net . java ajax perl php in order to make this little puzzle all fit together

Harrington

Joined Dec 19, 2009
Then moving onto mobile technologies we also need to understand or at least know what we are looking at when it comes to langauges such as Symbian OS Android etc etc I know and they need to be able to make pcbs design vsli and understand networking protocols without the basic fundamentals of just eletronics "Lots and Lots and Lots of work "

Harrington

Joined Dec 19, 2009
And it would also help a great deal if they could identify components not to mention read circuit diagrams not that many of the so called circuits that manufacturers provide when they decide to so operate are much good either

Harrington

Joined Dec 19, 2009
Acc Maplins though and other fantastic elastic companies typical this They are rather of the oppinion that we are only worth £6.50 per hour They do make me laugh

Harrington

Joined Dec 19, 2009
Not that they have ever played with Infra red rework systems costing £3000 at a time Hot air stations worked on microscopic components on multilayer PCBs Marconi 's or even begin to understand how they evn work let alone programme them Still not to worry Ken its a doddle huh !! yes I laugh at this too

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
KK i will try that if it dont work thats ok i can still power the lights wirelessly with my latching single relay the only problem with that is i have to manually unlatch it.

Chris