regarding IP address

elisettynarendra

Joined May 17, 2010
hii everyone
how can i change the ip address of my laptop using terminal (mac os) ..
terminal is just like command prompt in windows . Are there any commands to do that ?

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
You have presented a computer problem in an electronics forum. It is not likely you will get an answer here.

However, my IP address is provided by Verizon, not by anything I type into the command prompt. In other words, I don't think you can do that.

coldpenguin

Joined Apr 18, 2010
I think that the question should be why are you trying to change it?

Making the assumption here that you are talking LAN and not WAN, then there is a chance to change it if you know the network address, broadcast address, netmask of the LAN and the gateway for your system. If you are talking WAN, then this will be provided by the WAN provider, as in Bychon's case, Verizon. This IP cannot be changed, and there is no real reason that someone who would ask the question would really need to change it for (i.e. , if you don't know how to change it, you wouldn't know that the provider had gotten it wrong).
If you wish to view the IP address, then usually the command for windows or linux (believe that Mac OS is linux based these days) would be

ipconfig /all (windows)

ifconfig -a (linux based)

If you do not understand the numbers returned, do not attempt to change them. If you believe that your LAN DHCP server has given you an incorrect address then try unplugging and re-plugging the network cable, for most good OS's (windows and linux) this would suggest a renew to the server.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
you can also try ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

or you can go into the TCP/IP properties of the network connection you are using and if the system is not DHCP enabled, then you can specify an IP address there, but you will also have to know the gateway IP...

B. Morse

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Service providers 'lease' you an address that is 'available' for up to a couple of weeks of non use. Whenever you connect, the service tries to match you up with your 'leased' address. If you don't connect for a couple of weeks and your 'lease' has expired, you'll be assigned an new address.

That was awhile back and things do change quickly.