Refurbished Jfet?

spuddo

Joined May 2, 2013
Hi , i received a quote for a 2N5565 dual n channel jfet.

No. Part No. MFG PACKAGE/DESCRIPTION Qty Unit/Price Lead Time
1 2N5565 VISHAY TO-71 Lead free/RoHS Compliant , Bulk new parts - Samples Required 15 $ 15.0000 1-2 days
TOTAL: (USD) 225.00

I then received a follow up email stating the part is "refurbished" and maybe i could make an offer.
This puzzled me.
How can you refurbish this part , other than change the markings on the case.
Starting to smell.
Any thoughts.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Know as "pulls" - second-hand parts.
If you are buying them from China or Ebay, then they are much more likely to be genuine than anything claimed to be new.
There is a slight chance they might be faulty, but whenever I have bought obsolete parts they have been genuine and working.

spuddo

Joined May 2, 2013
Know as "pulls" - second-hand parts.
If you are buying them from China or Ebay, then they are much more likely to be genuine than anything claimed to be new.
There is a slight chance they might be faulty, but whenever I have bought obsolete parts they have been genuine and working.
Hi , thanks for all the replies.
The quote is from China.
Maybe their idea of refurbish is genuine "pulls" and "rechecked against datasheet parameters"
Best regards.

spuddo

Joined May 2, 2013
Hi , All.
I sent this email:

Hi Leon , could you please clarify what you mean by "refurbished".
Are these parts genuine Vishay parts?
Best regards

This is what came back:

Yes, that's genuine Vishay part, but there are only the second hand.
"refurbished" means it's used, and the vendor re-sanding and polishing, we can provide the picture for your confirm before shipment.

Feel a little more confident.
The price asked was $15USD----ouch!
Will make offer as requested buy seller.

spuddo

Joined May 2, 2013
Thanks Ian0 , i inquired about their LS841 , but as yet i haven't heard back.
I don't think they are keen to deal with minions like me from down under.
The last time , some years ago i had get a forum member from the US to buy them and then send them to me.
Thanks for your interest.
Best regards

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Some reputable, honest dealers offer items as "removed from equipment, qualifying it as either used or unused. Sometimes these are great deals. I once bought 20 12 volt/ 8 amp linear power supplies , "removed from new equipment" for $10 each. I quickly sold most of them, some for much more than I paid, and kept those that I wanted. So there are some good deals and some not so good deals.

spuddo

Joined May 2, 2013
Some reputable, honest dealers offer items as "removed from equipment, qualifying it as either used or unused. Sometimes these are great deals. I once bought 20 12 volt/ 8 amp linear power supplies , "removed from new equipment" for $10 each. I quickly sold most of them, some for much more than I paid, and kept those that I wanted. So there are some good deals and some not so good deals.
Thanks MisterBill2 , it' a minefield.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
But it would not be such a trick to pull such a device out of a board or socket and re-tin and/or re-shape the leads so it looks like new. That is done all the time. Beware! Maybe just get a couple of samples first so you can test them and maybe de-lid on to see if it is the real thing or not.