reed switch

manishagavde

Joined Dec 26, 2012
can someone guide me about how to select a reed switch for atmega16 microcontroller.there are reed switches with different specifications and i am confused which one to use,how to know specifications like current and voltage of reed switch which will b suitable for atmega16??

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Any reed switch will do. The ATmega16 does not care which reed switch you choose. It is the circuit connected to the reed switch that matters.

Edit: I assumed you are using the reed switch as an input to the MCU.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
If, on the other hand, you are DRIVING the reed switch with the MCU, you need to select one with a coil resistance that will not overload the output of the MCU or plan on using some sort of driver to the coil. Also, don't forget back EMF protection.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
If, on the other hand, you are DRIVING the reed switch with the MCU, you need to select one with a coil resistance that will not overload the output of the MCU or plan on using some sort of driver to the coil. Also, don't forget back EMF protection.
what you describe is not a reed switch, it is a reed relay

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Since the OP was concerned with voltage rating, I ASSUMED (wrongly) that he/she was referring to the coil, since the voltage rating of the switch element of almost any reed SWITCH would be much higher than the voltage allowable as an input to his MCU.