Rectifier / regulator

shanemax

Joined Nov 27, 2011
I have a 10 hp outboard with two wires coming out from under the fly wheel, both the same colour which will run lights and even a halogen spot, I am led to believe it is A.C power, as you increase the revs the lights get a lot brighter. I wish to fit a motor cycle single phase rectifier regulator to tricle charge a battery at say 2-3 amps. If this is possible ???? which wire from under the fly wheel do i feed where as they are both the same colour. I do not understand any thing about A.C. flywheel chargers. Thanks Shane

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, first you should find out if it is AC or DC output.

Here's a schematic of a tristate polarity indicator that uses a bicolor (red/green) LED:

If you don't have a bicolor LED, you can use one red and one green LED in parallel with each other connected back-to-back (cathodes to anodes and vice versa) with a single 1k Ohm resistor in series (like R1 is connected).

Don't worry about the extra resistor and diode; you just want to find out if it's DC or AC; and if it's DC, what polarity is it.

You will also want to know what the voltage is. For that, you will need a voltmeter. If you don't have one, you could pick up an inexpensive one at Harbor Freight Tools for under $7.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Nearly all the small outboards ive had any thing to do with, have whats called lighting coils under the flywheel. They are usualy AC, some supply a rectifier kit for charging batterys & are not voltage regulated. If you just use a rectifier the voltage at high RPMs will boil a battery, so it will need some sort of regulation. In your case if both wires are the same colour it will be AC.

shanemax

Joined Nov 27, 2011
Thanks for your reply, what i need to know is with two wires coming out from under the fly wheel and being the same colour which goes where on the rectifier regulator, I know two coming off the regulator rectfier go to the 12v battery. The reg/rec has four wires, two the same colour and two to go to the pos/neg on the battery, is it possible to get the two from the fly wheel and the two from the reg/rec the wrong way round or does it not mater. by the way i am told it is single phase........thanks

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The reg/rec has four wires, two the same colour and two to go to the pos/neg on the battery, is it possible to get the two from the fly wheel and the two from the reg/rec the wrong way round or does it not mater. by the way i am told it is single phase........thanks
The order of the AC wires from the battery make no difference. That is why they are the same color.

Two-wire AC must always be single-phase. Multi-phase power requires three or more wires.