Recruiting For Hi Tech Jobs On Campus

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
28 % of business don't recuirt on campus for Hi-Tech jobs.
They admit that all the jobs are going to China.
Does that make you feal good about signing up for loans
for college. Now 6 year courses are sold to you,four use
to be a good number.More school for no jobs,and higher
student loans to nowhere.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
With no education the income is in the poverty levels though. I notice engineers are doing OK, but you need to pick your career carefully.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Learn a trade, then learn a career.

Not EVERYBODY "needs" to go to college to reach their full potential.

Ever since the "Every kid goes to college" has been a trend, it has only made colleges cost more money and produce worse quality outputs.

I also disagree with the notion that one needs a degree in Interior Decorating before they are able to tastefully decorate an interior. Maybe work with an interior decorating business for a while, and if very good at it, go to college to learn from masters in the art, but don't go into college for it directly out of high school, hoping it'll get you a job that will pay for your student loans.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I don't know, but companies keep wanting to buy me lunch, and I'm still over a year away from graduation.
how do you get into that position, where companies want to buy you lunch? How do they know about you? are there "scouts" like in athletics, and it just happens if your grades are good? or did you sign up for some kind of placement program?

killerfish

Joined Feb 27, 2009
Learn a trade, then learn a career.

Not EVERYBODY "needs" to go to college to reach their full potential.

Ever since the "Every kid goes to college" has been a trend, it has only made colleges cost more money and produce worse quality outputs.

I also disagree with the notion that one needs a degree in Interior Decorating before they are able to tastefully decorate an interior. Maybe work with an interior decorating business for a while, and if very good at it, go to college to learn from masters in the art, but don't go into college for it directly out of high school, hoping it'll get you a job that will pay for your student loans.
Agree with you. But graduate in time, bring in better income sooner:(

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I'm self taught and I'm sure its cost me some jobs early on before I had experience from reputable companies and the gov. But I look at my brother who just got his phd at 38, and my sister in law. They've paid so much in financial aid it was about 36 when they paid if off. A couple years into graduate school he got grants and freebies to teach so they paid him to finish up and get his phd so that didn't cost him. But its too much. I feel knowledge should be free. Everyone should be able to get a college degree for free. Just hook every class up via web, and let the non paying people use ebooks and just take the test for a small fee. The lectures would all be online. Paying kids and kids with scholorships can goto the actual school. Soon there will be way too many kids and not enough schools. But anyhow like emergency health care I think an education should be free of charge, and we now possess the technology to make this happen.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I am also very much in favor of trades. Been to university, it was a disapointing experience - quality of education degrading as they allow students to waste time taking classes over and over again. Now in a technical school, hopefully better job prospects, but still everything seems backwards - get students to take up loans so that they will be paying off interest to keep covering up for all those pensions, if I don't get a job how am I going to pay off my loan? Western living, forever in debt. I guess there is no point in saying that there are many countries where education is free... Many colleges are only set up to make money... I don't even know what some of the programs offered are sometimes...

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Most unions have training schools,good pay best type of work.
Building and remodeling,repairs will never slow down. You can learn
to read plans and math,they need people to give them cost on a
set of plans.People to run jobs. There are a lot of young contractors
out there, a general contractor is the best ,you can get sample exams
to see what you need to know. With all the bad weather restoration
companies are making a lot of money off insurance companies.Cheap
overhead,professional water vac's,dryer fans framing wall board etc.
Four or five young guys willing to put there heads together and not
mess up.All condo or big rental apartments have water damage all the
time.Give them a card and a good responce time,most Important.
Something to think about guys.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
With all the bad weather restoration
companies are making a lot of money off insurance companies.Cheap
overhead,professional water vac's,dryer fans framing wall board etc.
Four or five young guys willing to put there heads together and not
mess up.All condo or big rental apartments have water damage all the
time.Give them a card and a good responce time,most Important.
Something to think about guys.
That sounds dangerously close to actual WORK! You can't expose kids these days to such dangerous and harsh conditions as working with power tools and carrying loads of over 20 pounds of shingles! That is inhumane torture labor camp stuff for somebody to have to do that just to pay rent, you should be ashamed!

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I know a lot of guys that make more money on odd jobs,just doing
replacements with a hand full of tools. Word of mouth ,feeds them.

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
how do you get into that position, where companies want to buy you lunch? How do they know about you? are there "scouts" like in athletics, and it just happens if your grades are good? or did you sign up for some kind of placement program?
I think there is a close relationship with the school and area companies. I'm certainly not the only one there, but they are interested in meeting students from all years, not just grad candidates.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I think there is a close relationship with the school and area companies. I'm certainly not the only one there, but they are interested in meeting students from all years, not just grad candidates.
So, the school just goes to "company A" and says "hey guys, I've taken a particular interest in TBayBoy, he seems to be a pretty bright guy" - and then a recruiter from Company A comes up to you out of the blue and invites you out to lunch?

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
So, the school just goes to "company A" and says "hey guys, I've taken a particular interest in TBayBoy, he seems to be a pretty bright guy" - and then a recruiter from Company A comes up to you out of the blue and invites you out to lunch?
I don't bother with lunch, I go straight for the cash.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I know a lot of guys that make more money on odd jobs,just doing
replacements with a hand full of tools. Word of mouth ,feeds them.
I am dumbfounded that members of our Enlightened US Society would go so far as demean themselves to make a living doing tasks fit for barbarians! Labor that even uncivilized people could perform without a High School education, let alone the seemingly mandatory Bachelor degree!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I am dumbfounded that members of our Enlightened US Society would go so far as demean themselves to make a living doing tasks fit for barbarians! Labor that even uncivilized people could perform without a High School education, let alone the seemingly mandatory Bachelor degree!
It may be a laughable concept (needing a degree to do anything at all), but its not that funny; for me at least. Having no degree banishes you to a realm where its hard to feed yourself & pay the bills at the same time, for most people. I am in at what I conceive to be probably the 80th or 90th percentile of earning without a degree and I still struggle.

Loosie mentioned people doing odd jobs. I've done a few odd jobs here and there; one lasted about 3 weeks, refurbishing/upgrading/installing/synchronizing 3 old machines for a little shady company who couldn't afford to have "real" field application engineer come out and do it. I could maybe (with a whole list of ifs) do this type of thing full time but the problem with doing it full time is that there's no insurance or health care. What if I get my arm cut off and I don't have 275,000$ laying around to have it reattached? Sure you can buy private insurance but would you have any money left over?

I don't think the problem is that we think we're too good to do a job that doesn't require a degree, I think its that with the economy in the shape that its in, and the amount of people out there jockeying for jobs, a degree is one of the easiest filter criteria for companies who are hiring. A computer algorithm (because people don't get involved until the last step) can sift through a virtual stack of applications and automatically file 13 any and all applications without degrees quite efficiently. It doesn't care about the guy with 20+ years of practical experience; that guy probably wants more than they are willing to pay anyways.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
well, in Canada the only way to get a job is to know the right person... no amount of education will get you anywhere.
I don't know if I would prefer that system or the computerized system. Being a white guy, I guess its up to the general public to decide for me that I would prefer the "good ol boy system"