Recording video, converting and storing to a microSD - Dedicated IC?

esm.

Joined Jan 20, 2012
Hello all.

I starting a new project where I need to record video (and optionally audio) with a small camera (no need of high quality video record), convert the video do a known format, like MPEG, AVI or other who require less disk space (mp4, flv etc). I need to store them to a microSD card, hard disk or other storage device (I think that microSd is the easiest way and more practical). The recorded videos will be watched on a PC when required, by removing the storage from the electronic device and connecting it to a PC.

My doubt is: Which dedicated ICs could be used to to the job of reading the camera frames (and maybe a mic), convert the camera frames to a known format (avi, mpeg etc) and store it as a movie file in the SDcard or hard disk???

An IC triggered by a microcontroler would be great. Or maybe a development board with all necessary components assembled (camera, mic, converter IC, microcontroller, microsd device and others). Somebody know a dev board who do that?

I'm searching for such ICs. I can buy all the necessary components for this project on DIGIKEY (preferentially), because every month I buy some components from them.

Abstract:
CAMERA + MIC (optional) <----> DEDICATED IC??? <----> MICROSD CARD or HARD DISK

Preferentially, the dedicated IC will have IO pins to communicate with a microcontroller and could do the following:
- Interface with a camera and a MIC (optional)
- Convert the camera frames to a know video format (avi, mpeg, etc)
- Store video file in the microSD card or hard disk

The dedicated IC could be also substituted by a video encoder + video compressor, in separeted ICs.

Somebody have suggestions of dedicated ICs for this project?
Or maybe some easier methods to implement this project?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: