Recommendations for a multimeter

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Havn't found one that'll survive the output of an electric fence controller yet.

Fluke are suppose to be one of the more reliable, but you sure pay for it.

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
For starters, I'd look at one from Radio Shack. For simple Ohm's Law stuff and residential voltages you can find digital's for $20-ish and up, or analog's for as low as $9.00. I'd go with the digital one's though. For me they're much easier to read and the autoranging feature is something I take for granted anymore.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Gadget@Feb 25 2006, 10:23 AM
Havn't found one that'll survive the output of an electric fence controller yet.

Fluke are suppose to be one of the more reliable, but you sure pay for it.
[post=14367]Quoted post[/post]​
I'll second Fluke as a recommendation for a multimeter, but as is stated by Gadget, they can be expense depending on your budget. Have a look at their website: http://www.fluke.com/ to get an idea of what they have to offer. Alternatively, you can look down at your local home-retailer (for example we have B&Q in he UK, you could look for something similar whereever you live), you will probably be able to pick up a cheap multimeter that would satisfy the needs of most electronics hobbyists.

Dave

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by Then along came a dummy@Feb 25 2006, 01:26 AM
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new multimeter. Something basic for hobbyists. Any recommendations? For starters what brands are reliable?
[post=14362]Quoted post[/post]​
Over the years I have had good luck with Wavetek Digital Meters. Even the low end models have extras like measuring L & C at low frequency. Its not perfect but it can give you an idea of what you have.