Recommend a current sensor?

fastwalker

Joined Jun 24, 2009
Hi All,

For my project here I need to measure DC current going to a number of motors, max. would be about 10A each. The measured values will be sampled by a NI Labview setup. Can anyone recommend a fairly inexpensive hall
effect or other type of sensor that I could use to measure the current going through the power wires?

Thank you to any responders,
FW

AdrianN

Joined Apr 27, 2009
You can use a 0.005 ohm resistor and a current shunt monitor like the INA214 family from TI. This family has a common-mode voltage of 26V.

The INA214 family are differential amplifiers. You can read about a power supply current measurement and common-mode voltage, as well as errors, in this article:

The Differential Amplifier Common-Mode Error – Part 2 - Power Supply Output Current Measurement with a Differential Amplifier

Since the INA family has integrated matched resistors you don't need to be concerned about the common-mode errors.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I second jpanhalt's suggestion of a shunt resistor. The only catch is that you need a differential input unless one side of the resistor is tied to ground. Use about a 1/2" long chunk of 16 gauge Nichrome wire and you can make your own 0.01 Ω resistor that drops 100 mV at 10 A (it will be dissipating 1 W at 10 A, so it's gonna be warm).

AdrianN

Joined Apr 27, 2009
Use about a 1/2" long chunk of 16 gauge Nichrome wire and you can make your own 0.01 Ω resistor that drops 100 mV at 10 A (it will be dissipating 1 W at 10 A, so it's gonna be warm).
The alternative is to buy one from Digikey ($0.5 ... $2).