rechargeable batteries question

Tesla00010010

Joined Jun 20, 2008
Hello,this question may be obviosu to many of you but i just decide to start using rechargeable batteries instead of the normal ones.So,i needed 0.23 A in a circuit and i went to buy a rechargeable one,and i got one "Gold-Peak" Ni-mh 9v one(8.4V actually)with the rating of 170ma-H.I read the article on the lessons in this website("Battery Ratings")and it sais that even if you give more charge to the battery than what it is rated it should give you the charge,but for a less time obviously.So the battery was planned to give 0,17 A in an hour and i put it to 0.23(to light those 3.5V tiny bulbs that work at 0.25 A),and my surprise was that the bulb just lighted for 5 seconds and then it was not lighting anymore.

When i measured with the voltmeter to the battery terminals,it was around 3 V and going up quickly but it never reached its value(8.4V).On the battery it says "short-circuit proof",and im not sure if this has something to do about it.The battery says 16 hrs at 17 ma too,but i dont understand why cant it give me 0.23 A it should give that charged for less than an hour,right?

I have read that if u overcharge the batteries u can damage,so if somebody could explain this to me it would be great,because im planning to light 4 bulbs and this time i would need 1/2 A.I have 3 pairs of 1.2v batteries of the same brand and they have the rating of 1800ma-H.I think now i shouldnt have problems because im nto gonna use even 1 A but i dont understand what happeend with the 8.4V battery.

Thanks

Tesla00010010

Joined Jun 20, 2008
oops,seems that i posted wrong,i thought i was on the general area,as i got here by a link.If the moderator could move it,it would be appreciated