Recepie Exchange

Thread Starter

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
5,084
What do you good folk like to snack on while designing schematics, laying out boards, calculating component values, or blowing up MOSFETs?

I like reconstituted powdered tabouli on "tortilla" corn chips. On hot summer days, frozen peas and frozen pre-cooked salad shrimp are quite nice. Edemame steamed in the shell is also really good.
 

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
6,970
Originally posted by Gadget@Jun 5 2006, 06:58 AM
I tend to settle for a "Brownian Motion Generator", such as a Good Hot Cup of Tea.......
[post=17513]Quoted post[/post]​
I'm with Gadget on this one, you can't beat a good cup of tea when working on something. The only problem is, it can become the main-stay of my diet if I really get into what I'm doing!!

As for food, it would have to be ANZAC butter biscuits with my brew, hmmm!!

Dave
 

Thread Starter

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
5,084
Hmmmmm... never heard of ANZAC buscuits before. A couple of the recipies that Google turned up are enticing, though. I'll have to experiment this weekend!
 

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
6,970
Originally posted by thingmaker3@Jun 7 2006, 01:52 AM
Hmmmmm... never heard of ANZAC buscuits before. A couple of the recipies that Google turned up are enticing, though. I'll have to experiment this weekend!
[post=17573]Quoted post[/post]​
I must warn you that they are highly addictive! If you have one, you need to have another...then another...as so on.

Before long you you'll be about 10 stone overweight! Seriously, part of the money tendered for these biscuits goes to ANZAC war veterans so there is some benefit in eating hundreds of these biscuits.

As a side point, probably the most popular delicacy people consume when working on a project is wine-gums - everywhere I have worked had a bowl of these available for everyone to try.

Dave
 

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
614
ANZAC = Australian/New Zealand Army Corps
ANZAC biscuits are made from Oatmeal, Golden syrup and a few other goodies (NO eggs), and were designed by the Kiwi and Aussie wives and mothers to be a tastie meal for the soldiers in WW1 that would survive the postage half way across the world, and keep for months. Quite tasty none the less.
 

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
6,970
Originally posted by Gadget@Jun 7 2006, 09:49 AM
ANZAC = Australian/New Zealand Army Corps
ANZAC biscuits are made from Oatmeal, Golden syrup and a few other goodies (NO eggs), and were designed by the Kiwi and Aussie wives and mothers to be a tastie meal for the soldiers in WW1 that would survive the postage half way across the world, and keep for months. Quite tasty none the less.
[post=17587]Quoted post[/post]​
Considering they are referred to as butter biscuits, it is safe to say they have a fair dosage of butter in there. Either way, they are fantastic, and I really need to get a grip before I become addicted to them!

Dave
 

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
614
Never heard them refered to as "Butter Biscuits". Must be a UK thing...
Anzac Biscuits

Ingredients

1 cup flour
1 cup White Sugar
1 3/4 cups coconut (coarsely shredded coconut is great for texture)
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
100g butter
2 tablespoons Golden Syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons boiling water

Method

Preheat oven to 160°C. Mix flour, sugar, coconut, rolled oats and walnuts in a bowl.
Melt butter and golden syrup together. Mix baking soda with boiling water to dissolve. Mix both butter and baking soda mixtures together in a large bowl. Add flour mixture and combine.
Roll teaspoonsful into small balls. Place on a well greased or baking paper lined oven tray and press flat with the back of a spoon. Allow room for biscuits to spread.
Bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
Makes: 40 biscuits
You can vary the proportions somewhat - less sugar, more butter, raisins, nuts etc. Be warned that ANZAC biscuits can be highly addictive.
 

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
6,970
Originally posted by Gadget@Jun 8 2006, 09:41 AM
Never heard them refered to as "Butter Biscuits".  Must be a UK thing...
[post=17629]Quoted post[/post]​
It might very well be, either way I'm sure its the same biscuit.

Btw, thanks for the recipe. Its a pity I can't cook! At least I now have a reason to learn :D

Dave
 

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
605
Originally posted by Gadget@Jun 5 2006, 04:58 PM
I tend to settle for a  "Brownian Motion Generator", such as a Good Hot Cup of Tea.......
[post=17513]Quoted post[/post]​

Must be the difference between you Kiwis and us Aussies, you have your tea and I will stick with my beer. Makes the design process a lot more interesting.

We did good with that ANZAC biscuit invention didn't we?
 

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
614
Originally posted by windoze killa@Jun 9 2006, 03:02 AM

We did good with that ANZAC biscuit invention didn't we?
[post=17656]Quoted post[/post]​
Don't you Start.. !!!
They were invented in Dunedin, the city of my Birth !!! ;)
(thus starts the whole ANZAC bikkie, Pavalova, Phar Lap, Russell Crow, Split Enz debate).. although we don't really want Russell Crow back now anyway..... Unless he can play cricket as well as his cousins....

Beer can cloud the Judgement slightly, so I normally leave the drinking until I've Given Up on every other option... ;) (Speights brand..... none of that VB stuff)
 

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
6,970
Originally posted by windoze killa@Jun 9 2006, 09:02 AM
Must be the difference between you Kiwis and us Aussies, you have your tea and I will stick with my beer. Makes the design process a lot more interesting.
[post=17656]Quoted post[/post]​
Whilst I'm all for a beer whilst working, I have found that it tends to divert one attention, particularly with the evils of the Internet:

"I'll just have a quick look on the BBC website"

3 hours later

"Err, what was I doing!"

Don't deny it, we've all done it!

Dave
 
Originally posted by Gadget@Jun 9 2006, 08:45 PM
Don't you Start.. !!!
They were invented in Dunedin, the city of my Birth !!! ;)
(thus starts the whole ANZAC bikkie, Pavalova, Phar Lap, Russell Crow, Split Enz debate).. although we don't really want Russell Crow back now anyway..... Unless he can play cricket as well as his cousins....

Beer can cloud the Judgement slightly, so I normally leave the drinking until I've Given Up on every other option... ;) (Speights brand..... none of that VB stuff)
[post=17660]Quoted post[/post]​
We don't want him either. Maybe the US will keep him.

How come all your beers have german names????? Can't think up your own?

PS. VB is the biggest selling beer in the world per capata of its country of origin.

PPS. I was speaking to some German toursits a few months ago and they were telling me that at the Oktober Fest in Munich they actually set aside a full Marquie just for the Ausies and Kiwis as they can't keep up with us.
 

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
614
Originally posted by kubeek@Jun 10 2006, 11:32 AM
ANZAC bisucuits sound good, but what about PROZAC biscuits?
That´s definitely the right choice! :D
[post=17670]Quoted post[/post]​
You've been reading your Email SPAM Me thinks....
I'd be more worried about the Viagra biscuits... ( They stay hard after you Dunk them)....
 

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
6,970
Originally posted by Gadget@Jun 18 2006, 04:21 AM
You've been reading your Email SPAM Me thinks....
I'd be more worried about the Viagra biscuits... ( They stay hard after you Dunk them)....
[post=17792]Quoted post[/post]​
I thought we were talking about what food made us work better!!

Dave
 

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
1,437
hi

hey "gadget" thanx for the ANZAC recipe. am willing to make that or should i say let my missus do it for me.

a thermos of native freshly grounded coffee beans is my partner whenever i work. :D :D :D

moz
 

Thread Starter

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
5,084
Native beans? :eek: Are you perchance near Java or Sumatra? All I can get around here (unless paying much more) are blends and mixes - Mostly South American with a just enough Mandheling beans tossed in to legally call it a "Sumatra Blend."
 

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
1,437
Originally posted by thingmaker3@Jun 22 2006, 01:04 PM
Native beans? :eek: Are you perchance near Java or Sumatra? All I can get around here (unless paying much more) are blends and mixes - Mostly South American with a just enough Mandheling beans tossed in to legally call it a "Sumatra Blend."
[post=17864]Quoted post[/post]​
yes amigo, freshly sunbaked robusta beans. we have three popular local brands here in the philippines. they are usually grown by backyard farmers. in my home province which is an island we have have a whole mountain range of coffee plantation grown for Nescafe. half a kilo of freshly grounded beans only cost USD5.00. i don't know if that is cheap enough for you :p :D

moz
 
Top