receiver and transmitter that detect threads

golo

Joined Jul 28, 2010
I want to do a project that will detect the threads in the wire
The wire has one input one output and some threads
I want to put in the input 8 number a-synchronic serial code (I know what I put in the input) and in the output I want to decode this code and I know what I receive.
With this two data that I know (input code and output code) I want to design an algorithm that will detect the threads in the wire

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
The term 'threads' is confusing for most readers. Are these electricity conductors, or the kind of stuff pants and shirts are made from?

A picture would be very helpful.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
or does threads=packets ?

Sounds to me like you want to create your own transmission protocol/handshaking...

golo

Joined Jul 28, 2010
Thanks beenthere,
I know that I need to involved hardware, I don't have a schema because I don't design it, I will glad if you can help me to know what electronics components I can use in the electronic circuit

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It would seem to me that by simply reading the manufacturer's code and such information on the cable jacket would give you what you need. I can't really imagine how to make a checker - unless you will always be using 8 conductor cable and you need to tell if each conductor is shorted/open?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Do you want someone to do your electronics homework for you...?

I can think of one way to do this, albeit, very long winded: You could have a microcontroller with a stored table of numbers. The micro knows the length of the wire, that is input to it, and it also knows the gauge of wire (SWG/AWG/whatever.) It knows the inductance of a single, thick piece of wire. It could then measure the parallel inductances of several strands of the wire, which would be lower than one thick strand. With a great inaccuracy, it may be able to tell you the number of threads to within ±50%. :eek: