really scared and worried

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Hi guys,

Ya know you can get free IC samples from companies, i got a phone call asking for me. Of course i was at school and that is what my mother told them. they were shocked since i said in the form that i was in the KiwiSoftware company, which is non existant, what will they do?

Thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Nothing.

You are a young entrepreneur getting your company started. That you haven't completed the formal paperwork is a minor detail. If you're really worried, then trot down to the county clerks office and file, for a nominal fee ($10.00), a DBA (Doing Business As). It is simply a legal declaration of an assumed name. They are good for five years and can be renewed indefinately.

Edit: Don't know what the equivalent of a DBA is in the UK, but there must be one.

Last edited:

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Thank god lol

I love the companies that give out the samples which is why im considering them as my suppliers (especially TI, they are great).

Thanks guys :) (or dude)

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
A lot of companies are now charging for samples, just because others have abused the process and they get free samples and throw them on ebay.... Microchip is even charging handling fees, but if you are a preferred customer (like me! :) ) they will waive the fee.....

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The whole sample / support thing is different with every manufacturer and every agent who works for said manufacturer. I've seen the same manufacturer send a tech to fly out and help us, then turn around and try to sell us $400 in dev kits. Then I've called one manufacturer and try to return at part that was not manufacturered right. The ports on the chip didn't fit the plug and was off by over 3mm. Support first told me to just bend the pins to fit. I said no thats going to break the board its so bad off. They then responded no problem just order another one and we'll give you 25% off. That really pissed me off since the part arrived broken. A week past arguing with the "sales/support team before I ran into someone higher up in their forums. He sent me a new one that day and I returned the broken one that day. No more issues just because I was lucky enough to run into a high level support guy outside their support site. Then another dev kit we had for wireless work crapped out one day. The dev kit retailed for $1200. We called the manufacturer in singapore and they overnighted us another that day. As Bmorse said many companies have gotten screwed over the sample game so they only give them out to "known qualified clients"

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I should think they would welcome with open arms any youngster in the UK still interested in going into electronics - or any other branch of engineering.

Even today many will still support school projects if you can catch the right part of the organisation rather than the beaucracy. But there is no need to hide who you are or be ashamed of it - just be open and honest when asking, and ask for the production director or works director.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
The free samples worked well, before internet ordering. You would either have to speak to someone over the phone, or write a nice letter. Something mostly just people serious about doing some business. Now the get flood by anyone, and everyone, and probably only generate a fraction of the sales the program once generated. Some kids order parts, just because they had a friend who got some, and of course they were free, and not even knowing what to do with a PIC. Sometimes they sample some old, and fairly common parts, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I've got a hunch that the good old days are over. I'm sure there will still be samples, but it will be more restricted. I've never requested samples, have declined several offers for some samples (didn't see any use for the products at the time), and will most likely continue to buy the parts I need. I just like living stress free (as much as I can), no salesman calling the house, endless E-mail offers, and so forth.

Paulo540

Joined Nov 23, 2009
As long as the RIAA doesn't get wind of it you should be ok.

:p

but seriously, the worst that can happen is the salesman won't send you a sample.

Actually, thats not true, the worst thing that can happen is that the salesman might become insatiably interested in your fledgling company and spend his every free moment inventing ways to solicit your business.... hiring Private I's, Numerologists, Soothsayers, etc. Kinda like a deranged ex ...I digress...

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Actually, thats not true, the worst thing that can happen is that the salesman might become insatiably interested in your fledgling company and spend his every free moment inventing ways to solicit your business.... hiring Private I's, Numerologists, Soothsayers, etc. Kinda like a deranged ex ...I digress...
hmmmmm... someones up to date on their stalking technology. :)