Reading mutliple digits binary number, digit by digit

cjtk

Joined Apr 4, 2009
Hi, I am new to electronics and this forum, currently I am working on a project but stuck at the step where I need to read and process a long binary number.

The binary number is read digit by digit, for 1011 I will receive binary signals of 1,0,1,1, one after another, after receiving one signal there will be a short break until I receive the next one. I am planning to read those four signals into a full adder, so each digit will be read into its coressponding position in the full adder. But since all signals come from the same part of the circuit, I don't know how to manipulate them so that each signal will go to a different part of the full adder. Can anyone help me? thx

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
What you need is a serial to parallel shift register. Unfortunately the .pdf function on the computer is screwed, so I can't look one up, but they come in chip form. Basically the take the bits and toggle down a serial register, then you can read them in parallel form when a strobe is given. You will need to derive a clock for the serial shift register, and, using the clock, a strobe for the latch the serial register is feeding.

cjtk

Joined Apr 4, 2009
Ok, the binary numbers are from sound signals, after looking at serial to parallel shift register, my plan is when a suitable sound signal is detected, send a signal into the clock part of the shift register, then at the same time, decode the sound signal to determine if it is 0 or 1, then send the coressponding signal to the "data in" part of the shift register. Then connect each output to a different input in the full adder.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Could you post a diagram of the full application? I didn't quite understand this part: "decode the sound signal to determine if it is 0 or 1".

cjtk

Joined Apr 4, 2009

So if the transmitters send sound signal of 1,1,0 and 1, that means the binary number is 1011, and i must be able to add this binary number onto a pre programmed binary number within the toy car

Attachments

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Do you already have the circuit that verifies the audio received is a valid signal, then decodes it as a 0 or 1 completed?

The output of that circuit should be two lines, such as "output" and "Data Good". i.e. Data and Clock.

When a bit is received and decoded, the data line is set to 1 or 0, and the data good/ready/clock line is pulsed. This then triggers the shift register to shift the bit in. The clock only stays high a short period. When the next bit is available, it is clocked into the shift register, etc.

Send the data good line from receiver to clock a divide by 4 counter to time the rest of the circuit (adder).