Reading +5V between negative output terminals on bench supply

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
So tie the two negative poles together?
Yes, if you want two different positive voltages in your circuit. If you want a +15 and a -15V in your circuit, tie the POSITIVE terminal of the -15V supply to the NEGATIVE terminal of the +15V supply. Your outputs will be +15V off the POSITIVE terminal of one supply and -15V off the NEGATIVE terminal of the other and the two terminals tied together as your common (circuit ground).

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thanks everyone. Got it to work and did not blow out the pic's pin. Do they make a shunt to make this easier? But I am guessing it would need to come with the power supply so it fits ,unless there is a flexible cable and jack setup?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thanks everyone. Got it to work and did not blow out the pic's pin. Do they make a shunt to make this easier? But I am guessing it would need to come with the power supply so it fits ,unless there is a flexible cable and jack setup?

In high-school we had an H-shaped copper flat that slid down to the two negative terminals, flip it over and it slides to connect one positive/one negative terminal for a split rail. I haven't seen that since high-school - I surely do not remember the brand name of the power supply.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Do they make a shunt to make this easier?
IIRC, the standard output spacing of banana jacks is 0.75". I have seen shunts that connects a common reference on supplys like this. If you can't find one (or don't want to fork over dough for one), just use 16-18 gauge copper wire and make your own.