Reaction Timer - Please Help

kjs_123

Joined Oct 16, 2008
Hello everybody.......

Recently asked to produce a reaction timer on a PCB with 7 segment display...

Any idea as how to go about this....

Thanks
KJ

Last edited:

kjs_123

Joined Oct 16, 2008
Actually, yes. What ideas have you got, and how do you propose to implement them?
Thanks.....
Mate i have no idea as how to start......to be honest.....

In the past i have done......0-9 counters, 00-99 counters, a counter that produces 1Hz from a 4Mhz crystal......

Hope this explains.

KJ

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Can you list the steps involved in the process? What it will take to do whatever process that flashes the LED, etc? Organizing the project into steps will show you how to apply the hardware you have to perform the task.

It may also help to make an explicit list of the functions your electronic modules can perform so you can see how suitable they are for the task.

Hint: the LED flash comes after a timer counts down (or up) a randomized count.

kjs_123

Joined Oct 16, 2008
Can you list the steps involved in the process? What it will take to do whatever process that flashes the LED, etc? Organizing the project into steps will show you how to apply the hardware you have to perform the task.

It may also help to make an explicit list of the functions your electronic modules can perform so you can see how suitable they are for the task.

Hint: the LED flash comes after a timer counts down (or up) a randomized count.
Firstly, create a Linear feedback shift register which will give random numbers.
Secondly let the circuit to wait for sometime depanding upon the random number been generated before the LED lights up.
Thirdly, when the LED lights up the seven segment display will start counting in milliseconds until the user presses the button.

Now, i know how to develop a Linear feedback shift register....but only issue is how to display in millisecond i.e. whenever the the clock cycle reaches 1/100 of the clock frequency and to increment in millisecond.

Hope it makes sense.

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Not bad - can you grab an output from your module before it's all the way down to 1 Hz? That could be your time base.

You will want to have some means of triggering (starting) the operation, too.

kjs_123

Joined Oct 16, 2008
Not bad - can you grab an output from your module before it's all the way down to 1 Hz? That could be your time base.

You will want to have some means of triggering (starting) the operation, too.

Sorry boss...didn't understand as my knowledge of circuits is still basic....please elaborate......:)

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Your instructor is asking for a project that's over everybody's head? Seems as if you should have at least basic understanding of the devices used.

In order to measure milliseconds, you have to have a 1000 Hz source.

I would want a start button. When pressed, the random time loads into a counter. When decremented to 0, one LED illuminates. At that time, another counter starts counting up at 1000 Hz. The reaction button press stops this counter. The count represents the milliseconds since the LED cue lit. The display shows that number (0 - 999).

Draw up a schematic. You might find a better (for you) way to do this.

kjs_123

Joined Oct 16, 2008
Your instructor is asking for a project that's over everybody's head? Seems as if you should have at least basic understanding of the devices used.
Oh dear some harsh words......:rolleyes:

well SIR i am only trying to learn as It has only been 2 months since the module has started and I am trying my level best to understand the basic...If you know what I mean.....:cool:

Now I am only able to make LFSR for random number generator.....
Will you able to please guide me ahead.....

Peace,
KJ

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I don't think too highly of an instructor that hasn't covered the material adequately.

My previous post covered the device as I see it. Have you got materials to perform those functions?

kjs_123

Joined Oct 16, 2008
I can understand:)

Anyways, I know how to develope the 1Khz source for the clock to measure in millisecond.......
Only issue is I am bit confused as how to implement this:

I would want a start button. When pressed, the random time loads into a counter. When decremented to 0, one LED illuminates. At that time, another counter starts counting up at 1000 Hz. The reaction button press stops this counter. The count represents the milliseconds since the LED cue lit. The display shows that number (0 - 999).

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Can you state what devices you have to use for this project? Are there things you must use?

Most importantly, since this is a school project, what ideas do you have?

kjs_123

Joined Oct 16, 2008
Can you state what devices you have to use for this project? Are there things you must use?

Most importantly, since this is a school project, what ideas do you have?
Here is the board we have to use to perform the task on:

Its an ATERA FLEX EPR10K20RC240 Logic Device.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I know nothing about the critter. I think it's going to be up to you and the manual to get this working. You gave the outline of what need to happen. Try making the device do one thing at a time - produce a random number, place a count in a timer, light a LED, etc.

kjs_123

Joined Oct 16, 2008