Re-winding of an old Brook Motors Ltd.

Measuring low resistance is tough to do. Having 4 or 5 wire ohms helps and so does a zero control.

To measure a low resistance, you need to pass a current and use your meter to measure the voltage across a fixed length and compute R.

The current is the same through the wire everywhere and therefore any series resistances don't count

That aside, since you were getting consistent readings. Likely things to happen is shorts and shorts would generally result in lower resistance, so therefore:

1. Make sure the capacitor is disconnected.
2. You could pick up extra resistance when you made splices or any connections.
3. There is something called contact resistance

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thanks for all your help and advice, this was an awesome help...and the motor runs very smooth and cool.

Well, you can see for yourselves...:)

Nice!... amazing how a very simple mistake, such as misconnecting the wingdings in a motor, threatens to ruin many hours of hard and meticulous work ... I'm glad all of the time you've invested in this project has finally payed up. :)

Vakse Viggo

Joined Jun 15, 2017
Thank you all...and you are welcome.

One of the best things about this re-wind project is, that I learned so darn much from this. Everything makes so much more sense now, after it also works in the 10 amp socket.

Am I going to try this again?.....yes 100 %, but not for a while. This fix will last me for some time. :D

I will come with an update, when the mill is ready for the first grinds.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thank you all...and you are welcome.

One of the best things about this re-wind project is, that I learned so darn much from this. Everything makes so much more sense now, after it also works in the 10 amp socket.

Am I going to try this again?.....yes 100 %, but not for a while. This fix will last me for some time. :D

I will come with an update, when the mill is ready for the first grinds.
I, at least, will be looking forward to your next project in this forum.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Oh, my God... that is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful restoration works I've ever seen! .... and you're quite the photographer too... :)