Re-winding of an old Brook Motors Ltd.

Vakse Viggo

Joined Jun 15, 2017
Does the wires just need to be connected in serial with each other, so all the 0,5mm are one winding? And same with the 1mm?

I was thinking of winding them right into the slots, and end up with both ends connected to the other winding...and so on.

As long as the 0,5mm becomes one big winding in the end, would it matter 'how' they are connected to each other? And as long as I have the correct amount of wires in one winding, of course.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Does the wires just need to be connected in serial with each other, so all the 0,5mm are one winding? And same with the 1mm?
That's one of those things only you would know being you should have noted that when you took it apart. :oops:

If they were in series then yes you can rewind them as such to eliminate some connections.

Vakse Viggo

Joined Jun 15, 2017
Yes...you live, you learn.

Any who....just wrote a mail to Brook Compton to see if they have any information about this motor.

But if there is only two wires coming from the 0,5mm windings, would that not suggest that they are all connected?

Vakse Viggo

Joined Jun 15, 2017
Was wondering if there is a program or chart of somekind, that can calculate the number of windings in each coil, just by typing in the Horse Power, Amps, Size of Stator and rotor, RPM, nr. of slots...and so on?

I have a hard time finding any information of a motor with 32 slots that provides 0,5 HP.
Do you guy's know of any?

Vakse Viggo

Joined Jun 15, 2017
Looking closely at the pictures I took of the burnt windings, it was obvious that my diagram was way off.

Here is the updated version on how it looked like, and now that I know how many of the connections look like, it makes a lot more sence.

Coil connection.jpg

Coil Connections Start and Run.jpg

Vakse Viggo

Joined Jun 15, 2017
Seems more reasonable.
I think so too. I am pretty sure than the Start Winding is connected the same way. The next thing I need to do, is to figure out what is the cheapest......buying everything I need, or get a company to do it for me.
I just wish that I could do the work myself and get some experience, and the satisfaction of completing it myself.

I was told that a local company might have the blueprints for that very motor...maybe it would be possible to buy all the stuff needed, at a cheaper price?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
How would adding more Amp/Turns give less power? I don't understand the reasoning.
Inductive impedance goes up thus reducing the effective mechanical power the motor can produce at the same input voltage.

Same way running a 230 VAC rated motor on 120 VAC input reduces it to having at best ~1/4 the working of its former rated working capacity.

By adding the ~15% more turns it will have a similar effect of having reduced the input voltage to a point now likely below its original designs input voltage limit of say 115 VAC +-10% thusly limiting how much torque the motor can produce without excessive RPM losses or possibly dropping out of it semi-synchronous operation mode entirely at any heavier loads that would have normally been within in working capacity before.

It rather like purposely running a induction motor in a brownout undervoltage voltage mode to save energy in internal inductive losses. It works fairly well in light load applications but the trade off is it limits the peak working capacity of the motor.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That doesn't agree with the several books on motor rewinding I have. In them they have charts on adding extra turns in a motor to increase the output HP for an existing frame size and the voltage staying the same.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
That doesn't agree with the several books on motor rewinding I have. In them they have charts on adding extra turns in a motor to increase the output HP for an existing frame size and the voltage staying the same.
It depends on a number of factors related the overall motor design of which your books, if they are any good, should give some degree of explanations to.

It's not a universal one size fits all concept with no upper or lower limit to how far the turns ratios for a given motor's output power rating can be changed before a secondary effect or influence of a different part of the working system becomes a primary effect that need's to be addressed in some other way.

It's similar to the turns-ratio Vs actual applied turns used in a transformer based on the various characteristics that will determine its actual working limits over a specific frequency band and working load range given a very specific core material design.

Last edited:

Vakse Viggo

Joined Jun 15, 2017
It depends on a number of factors related the overall motor design of which your books, if they are any good, should give some degree of explanations to.

It's not a universal one size fits all concept with no upper or lower limit to how far the turns ratios for a given motor's output power rating can be changed before a secondary effect or influence of a different part of the working system becomes a primary effect that need's to be addressed in some other way.

It's similar to the turns-ratio Vs actual applied turns used in a transformer based on the various characteristics that will determine its actual working limits over a specific frequency band and working load range given a very specific core material design.
I only have ONE question...whats a motor?

Naaa, I am just kidding :)

All this is very exciting, but a lot of it also takes some more knowledge on my part. It does seem like you know what you are talking about, so I will take your word for it.
About the diagram...does it look like the motor would run like it is suppose to, or will it likely become one big fireball? I guess my question is...WILL IT BLEND? or turn around?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Ah yes, glad you asked. :)

I was sure that one of the run coils had 40 windings, and only counted 35 in the other two, and those were the two I was unsure of.
When multiple coil sets are wound to work in series rather than parallel that's not uncommon to have one wound with a few more turns than the others.

I don't recall why they do that way but I have seen it before. When it comes to electric motor winding there is a ton of odd reasons and configurations the designers have and use at times to compensate for some odd variable that shows up in a finished design Vs what the original drawing board theoretical design first started out with. Most often it has to do with compensating for some variable that showed up in the actual construction and testing process.

That, or someone simply miscounted on installing the other winding sets and the last got the surplus extra turns put on it to make the overall total fit the design specs. I've hand wound motors before and it's not that hard to misscount when doing the install work.

I only have ONE question...whats a motor?

Naaa, I am just kidding :)

All this is very exciting, but a lot of it also takes some more knowledge on my part. It does seem like you know what you are talking about, so I will take your word for it.
About the diagram...does it look like the motor would run like it is suppose to, or will it likely become one big fireball? I guess my question is...WILL IT BLEND? or turn around?

Years ago when I was in tech trades college I had a electric motors lab where we did a full semester of hands on electric motor practical application study to which I have used that all my life. Even to the point I took the practical application theory and came up with a solution to running standard three phase motors on single phase at their full rated power. A design I made good money on for a number of years before joining the online forums world where I then put it out everyone so the whole world can use my designs and the theory it came from now for free. ;)

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/3-phase-converter-schematic-miller-system.100563/ (aproching some 82,000 views as of today.) :cool:

As simple as a electric motor looks the actual physics and materials selections behind tailoring one to fit a specific application and working parameters is extremely complex.