Re-Winding in stator of DC electric motor

nsachin0411

Joined Nov 26, 2021
Hello Everyone

Are there any tutorials or documents regarding re-winding in stator of DC electric motor?

What are the factors I should consider while re-winding such as number of turns, copper wire thickness, Voltage, Current, etc.,.

I'm from mechanical background. Please, help me on this.

Thanks & Regards
Sachin Navathe.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
What are the factors I should consider while re-winding such as number of turns, copper wire thickness, Voltage, Current, etc.,.
If it's a rewind, you need to count the turns and pay close attention to the winding pattern. And you would use the original wire gauge as what to buy for the wire.

You haven't said what voltage or motor size so that's on you. But be advised this isn't an easy job to do no matter what size of motor. And since the wire used is only enamel insulated(magnet wire) and the stator stampings are usually full of very sharp edges, getting this done without causing a shot circuit will be hard to do.

I can't imagine why I, myself, would ever consider it or even try.

nsachin0411

Joined Nov 26, 2021
Thank you @shortbus.

Being mechanical engineer I dont know how to design winding for the motor.

Please, can you help with tutorials about winding in stator for DC motor.

Thanks & Regards
Sachin Navathe

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Normally what you do is make up a winding spool that takes the same form/shape the coil would be before placing in the stator.
Having counted the turns, you would then rotate the spool keeping track of turns, a simple mechanical turn counter makes this easier.
Once the coil is wound, the winding would be placed into the slot using some kind of soft material, plastic etc to tap the winding gently into the slot to form the original shape.
Use enameled motor wire.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Hello Everyone

Are there any tutorials or documents regarding re-winding in stator of DC electric motor?

I'm from mechanical background. Please, help me on this.

Thanks & Regards
Sachin Navathe.
If re-winding for repair purposes, copy exactly what you find inside the motor. If rewinding for a different voltage/speed/whatever, good luck. This is a bit of a dark art. You're better off taking it to a motor rewind shop where they keep some old wizard chained up in the back, who knows these things from decades of experience. Even then, be ready for your motor to run hot and/or not perform as you expect. Or, if this is just for fun, look up some white papers on the topic and give it a shot. You'll probably end up with a motor that doesn't work, but who knows?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Thank you @MaxHeadRoom.

I'm aware about the stator coil assembly process.

Please can you provide winding design tutorials?

Thanks & Regards
Sachin Navathe.
It also depends on the design of the motor field pole method.
What size of motor is it?
There is a book that is about the best on motor re-winding
Electric Motor Repair by Robert Rosenberg.
Unless this is a large motor, wound fields for DC motors are rare now, usually P.M.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you are lucky it has removable pole pieces and the coil can easily be removed, otherwise, what we did on large motors was to use a cold chisel to remove one end of a coil and then drive the windings out using a suitable shaped tool, this preserves the shape of the coil in order to make a former to wind on.