RC Toys

jrm

Joined Oct 11, 2011
Holy cow, I should have looked at that link a little closer. Those Draganflys have come a LONG way from the one we had. The unit we had cost about $1500 new. These new models check in at $35k + It better have a laser beam that will cut down trees and some missles for that price. :)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Look out guys, I am coming ur way. :D

I got me first Chopper. Ummm! that is Toy.

PS. My PS3 is bigger than ur's, cause it's my landing platform

Neat huh!.

I am going to fly away when I feel bored.

But Once again I think I've been coned :mad:

It says RC controlled plus a gyro.

See the lame controller. I wonder what kinda RC uses IR Led's. Am I losing touch on technology or what.

So I think I am gonna over haul my helicopter to see if there is a gyro inside as the seller claimed.

By the way..any body know what are the pingpong balls for ?

The perforated ping pong balls go on each end of a pair of (supplied?) plastic rods that are affixed to the undercarriage in a cross shape. That setup is for beginners, for hover and landing practice.

The ping pong balls are intended to act as ballast to keep the heli upright while you hone your reflexes, BUT, it is still hard as hell to master hover without wrecking the bird, UNLESS you take the wise step of investing in an RC simulator package like Real Flight3, which comes with its own transmitter box. With the RC simulator you can make all the beginner mistakes in the virtual world, and get a much better handle on staying in control before you even try the ping-pong training gear setup.

What I found most difficult about flying RC aircraft in general was remembering that all control axes ( except pitch) are worked in reverse when the aircraft is pointing towards you. With an RC simulator package, accounting for that will become second nature after a few hours of practice.

Best of luck, and keep us updated on how it goes.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I have one of the helicopters and can't even get it off the ground without crashing. Does the Realflight 3 work for all heli's?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U pretty good at that. I can fly it once I throw it ...kekek.

I got the ping pong thing up too late. I broke one landing gear.

This thing is hitting everything.

U know the little guy is really scared of this thing. His heart is thumping when ever he sees it.

Oh yes..this thing has no stinkin gyro of any sort.

I have one of the helicopters and can't even get it off the ground without crashing. Does the Realflight 3 work for all heli's?
Real Flight3 does offer several different helis, Shortbus, but I must add that while RC simulators like Real Flight and PhoenixRC do accelerate the learning process, they are all much more forgiving than the real thing, so there is still a learning curve, though not as steep as going straight to flying the heli out of the box and with no previous experience.

If I had a dime for my every RC heli crash, I'd be able to afford a real chopper ha ha.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1215

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
As I said there are usually two blades that counter rotate. This gives at least some stability. It is the spinning of the blades that cause the gyroscope action.

Even a bicycle is a gyroscope. Anything that spins basically.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Isn't the gyro some kinda device?
It can be but it is pretty much anything that spins. Take the wheel of of your bicycle. Hold the axle (you may need to add a small rod so you can hold on) in one hand and start spinning it. Now try to tip the wheel in one direction or the other. You will find it very difficult to move.

The more mass and velocity the harder it will be to move.

Yes there are electronic gyros like MEMS

http://info.coventor.com/mems-products/?Tag=mems%20gyroscope

But to stabilize a helicopter, you would need a micro controller to make them work to adjust the various flight surfaces. Also these are probably really more accelerometers rather then gyros.

But even true gyros can have outputs that can control equipment. They use them in satellites to control stability. They are also used in ships to control roll.

They used gyros to stabilize ships way back in the 19th century though these were all mechanical stabilization. They were also used by the Germans during WW2 to stabilize their missiles.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Can u believe that it grew from this

TO this

OK OK it didn't grew

But I got me a bigger one for nothing.
One problem, No remote and charger.

So u know what I am gonna do ? :D

Top-end FPV ( First Person View) RC models are now blurring the line of distinction between hobbyist RC toys and their far costlier military counterparts, those multi-million dollar surveillance UAVs sent aloft by the the US Air-Force, such as the Predator and Global Hawk.

Wearing a pair of video goggles, the hobbyist FPV "pilot" gets a birds-eye-view of the RC model's flight, thanks to the miniature tilt-and-pan video-cam installed in the cockpit, streaming real-time video footage to the operator's video goggles. I’d eat a bug to own a system like that. One can never have too much overhead imagery.

From bargain-basement FPV systems built around the 3-channel Easy Star electric-powered glider, to top-of-the-line GPS-guided, auto-pilot, auto-hover, auto-return-to-base quad copter UAVs, the business of acquiring overhead imagery really has never been so spoiled for choices to suit all budgets.

Check out these guys who build their own multi-rotor UAVs from scratch, some with FPV gear installed.

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/share-your-drone-info-thread

This next link is a discussion forum on FPV flight.

http://fpv-community.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=30

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Electric RC airplanes also have gyros now to provide stability to small airplanes in windy conditions.
The gyros let the airplane accurately go in one direction, to hold a bank, to hold a turn and to hold a climb or dive (or level flight).

It will be a nightmare for a pilot of a quad-copter to perform all the movements required by a few gyros and a microprocessor.