RC time constant...

i3ill

Joined Dec 7, 2008
Doing some homework for my basic DC electronics class and do not know how to answer this question!
The RC time constant of a circuit consisting of a 10k resistor in series with a 50 uF capacitor is _______. When a power supply is connected to this RC circuit, it is generally considered that the capacitor will be fully charged in ________ time constants, which would be ________ seconds.

Help Help!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Concerning the 1st problem, this is one of those rare situations the description is also the equation.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I just reviewed the chapter, it doesn't give the answer for the 2nd question. I remember the answer from my school days. Till the OP gets the first problem I'm not too worried about it though.

TanTJ

Joined Mar 6, 2008
I'm pretty sure I know the answer as well, but don't want to give it away. Is the answer to the second part of the question the derivative of the function f(x)=5x+7? If you get my meaning :)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Isn't the second part like similar questions related to any rate equation? That is, what do you consider fully charged, reacted, or whatever: 86%, 95%, 99%, etc? The answer will be what the instructor told you. The exponent is usually 3, 4, or 5 for practical purposes. I tend to prefer 4 or even 3, if the time constant is long; although, some people stick rididly to 5 (99%).

John