RC submarine

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Looking to convert a classic WW2 Gato model submarine into a RC version. Is it possible? If so, can I get it to submerge, surface? Is is possible to control from laptop and view realtime via periscope?
Thanks in advance for the tips/help!:)

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
As you may not know. Radio communication under water will in most cases not work. Google the term "underwater radio communication" you will find many interesting papers

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
As you may not know. Radio communication under water will in most cases not work. Google the term "underwater radio communication" you will find many interesting papers

For the basic 27 to 47 mhz transmitters, they can work up to 3 feet deep in water. I have a radio controlled submarine that can submerge but only to 3 feet deep, after that the controls start malfunctioning and it has a tendency to just keep going on its own :D, I had to modify it to where when radio control is lost that it comes up to the surface, since my boy likes to play with it in the pool.....

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
For the basic 27 to 47 mhz transmitters, they can work up to 3 feet deep in water. I have a radio controlled submarine that can submerge but only to 3 feet deep, after that the controls start malfunctioning and it has a tendency to just keep going on its own :D
So unless the OP use it in a pool, the sub will probably be lost in action.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Just go to periscope depth, and surface if signal is lost. Started same in 1957 with under water sound communication.Proj died witf move and job change, still have motor & battery, silver-fish took care of plans.