RC Glider

Paul McD

Joined Feb 9, 2012
I am planning to build a model glidder but am struggling with the electronics. I would like to be able to adjust a potentiometer to adjust the angle of the flaps on the glider.
For the IR emmiter/reciever I was going to use an IR LED and an IR Phototransistor. Is this the way to do it or is there a more appropriate way?
My second query is the IR reciever/servo control circuit. I understand that a 555timer should be used but with what values of resistor for approx 90° turn? I would appriciate a schematic drawing for the reciever circuit/servo control circuit.

Many thanks (I have just realised how many questions I have asked in this one post!)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
"RC" normally means "radio controlled", not IR controlled. I supposed one could claim they mean "remote controlled".

You haven't given anywhere near enough information to even begin answering your questions. Besides, this is the "Homework Help" forum, not the "Homework Do It For Me" forum. You need to present and describe your efforts to solve YOUR problem. We will start from your present level of progress and help you move in the right direction. We will not just offer up answers.

Paul McD

Joined Feb 9, 2012
Hi, sorry for not presenting enough information ealier.

Firstly I need to use Infrared to turn on a servo motor in my glider. The best idea I have come up with is an IR LED and a phototransistor as in the first attatchment. The variable resistor I think should allow me to vary the voltage produced by the phototransistor (as it varies the brightness of the IR LED). Is this right of is a phototransistor a digital component?

The control circuit for a servo motor I think is as follows in the second attatchment with a 555 timer. I have found out that I need a 2 milli-second pulse every 20 milli-seconds, but the problem I have is how to calculate and change the pulse length and time between pulses?

Finlly I need to conect the infrared reciever and 555 timer cicuits together. Could I replace one of the resistors with the phototransistor? although I'm just guessing with that.

I understand that there are a lot of pieces in the puzzle I need to fill in but any help would be much appriciated.

Many thanks,

Paul

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Very, very cheap indoors helicopter toys (Air Hogs) use IR for control. IR has a range of about 10m (30 feet). IR control does not work outdoors when there is bright sunlight.

Also, A glider glides very well so it does not use flaps. Instead it uses spoilers that go up and spoil lift).
Here is a modern small radio-controlled glider:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/umx-ask-21-bnf-with-as3x-technology-EFLU1280

Last edited:

Paul McD

Joined Feb 9, 2012
If IR is unlikely to work outdoors due to interference then what alternative system could i use that is reletively cheap and easyto use?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
IR is used for TV remote control. You are always indoors and are close to your TV so it works well.
My RC model airplanes still work when they are so far away that I can barely see them.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You need to give us enough information about your project and what you are trying to do so that we can provide reasonable feedback. How far away do you have to be able to control it? Outside is going to be tough because of the background IR from the sun. How are you going to deal with the fact that IR, both transmitting and receiving, is highly directional? Do you understand exactly how your servos operate and are controlled?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The inexpensive RC glider in my link uses spread spectrum 2.4GHz signals. 40 models can fly at the same time without interferering with each other. The range is farther than you can see.

The aileron, rudder, elevator and tow release are Pulse-Width-Modulated for proportional fine-detail control. My RC airplanes are the same except one has additional flaps for it to fly very slow.