Raspberry pi

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I want one. I see them listed on the Newark site, 0 in stock. Checked the website, says they had a screwup in manufacturing. How many nerds do you think are in line for this thing? I.e. Will I have to wait for the 2nd or 3rd production batch?

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I think just about every nerd is wanting at least one. Then many schools are buying hundreds. Then some charities. I even managed to convince my friends to want some, because they are so cheap, they don't mind giving it a try and finding they don't like it.

This has got to be one if the best ideas of the 21st century so far.

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
i have to be honest, i genuinely like the concept of it, and while yeh, its nerds blatantly buying up the current stocks, eventually they will hit schools and be able to get some kids programming and interested in electronics, which is sadly very undersold (at least in the uk) where i found out there was an electrical engineering degree when some guy from the uni phoned and said.. hey, you got an A in electronics, why not do this degree??? lol. nice guy!
point is.. they should develop a nice easy free thing like FlowCode to get people into pic programming too.. flowcode isnt free:(

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Not likely. It depends on what you want to do with it.
So far, it is a 3-channel digital scope and spectrum analyzer.
I am now working on the keyboard, mouse and USB interface.
I haven't even started on the first PCB prototype.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I know I"m out of my league here, but what's wrong with using something more common, like the Arduino? Seems to me the Raspberry Pi has a bunch of stuff you don't really need.
Well the arduino could probably do it, if I stored the info somewhere else, but it still seems a bit ill equipped. I'm probably wrong.,
@Stantor, looks like your wife wanting that purse is similar :D
oh, now you're just trying to get me riled up. :p 30$ for a fully functioning computer, vs. 145$ for a bag that will crest the pile of other bags in my closet? It's a no brainer.;)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
in my inbox tonight:
Dear charles,

Thank you for registering your interest in Raspberry Pi. We are very pleased to tell you that you can now place your Pi order.

Our earliest, projected ship date for new orders is August, (depending on when your order is placed.)

While you are waiting for your Raspberry Pi, stay up-to-date with the latest news and information at www.element14.com Place your order now! Simply click on the link below.

*Due to unprecedented demand, we are accepting orders of only 1 Raspberry Pi.
What I didn't get was my notification that the raspberry pi I've already preordered is on it's way.