random timer for model train stop

nottechnical

Joined Aug 6, 2010
To Bernard and Windoze Killa

Rather belatedly I have got the circuit constructed and used in earnest for the first time on Saturday 11 June.
It worked to perfection.
Many thanks for the interest and advice given. Very much appreciated.

Newbie needing help. I would like a circuit to control a model train as part of a fund raising project. The layout will have twenty stations and the train will be required to stop at different stations. A section of track at each station will be isolated from the rest but wired together. I would like a random timer to de-energise all the isolated sections. Push button to start and after a delay of approx five seconds the random timer would then de-energise the sections, stopping train at nearest station. Randoms times could be between five and twenty seconds. Can construct circuits but limited knowledge in electronics. Thank you in anticipation of some assistance.
You could take a look at an off delay timer. This is the type of timer in which the contacts change position immediately when the coil is energized, but delay returning to their normal position when the coil is de-energized. That might be what you are looking for. Let me know how it goes!