RAMPS 1.4 convert 12V on D9 to 6-8.4V

canteen334

Joined May 12, 2016
Hello, I ordered this laser and a RAMPS 1.4 outputs 12V on D9. The laser says it can input 6-8.4V so I need to step down the voltage on the RAMPS 1.4. I am completely new to this so I don't know what to get. I was thinking on getting either this or this. Please leave your opinion on whether this would work or not. Thank you.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

If you just bought the power supply, is returning it an option? You'd be better off getting one closer to your requirements. If you want to keep the supply, the first option you mentioned would be more efficient.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
either one should work just fine..
You could just make your own with a LM317, a few resistors and capacitors too..

canteen334

Joined May 12, 2016
Welcome to AAC!

If you just bought the power supply, is returning it an option? You'd be better off getting one closer to your requirements. If you want to keep the supply, the first option you mentioned would be more efficient.
Welcome to AAC!

I'm currently using an atx power supply that someone gave me and I'm trying to keep the build within a budget. Thank you for your response.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello, I ordered this laser and a RAMPS 1.4 outputs 12V on D9. The laser says it can input 6-8.4V so I need to step down the voltage on the RAMPS 1.4. I am completely new to this so I don't know what to get. I was thinking on getting either this or this. Please leave your opinion on whether this would work or not. Thank you.
What does one do with a 1.5W green laser?