Ramp Wave generator using MOS and Square Wave

prabinmetals

Joined Jul 23, 2013
We have been asked to create a Ramp(sawtooth) Wave out of Square wave by using PMOS, NMOS, Capacitor and a Square Waveform. I tried a couple of configuration in LTSpice but to no avail. The hint says capacitor charges linearly but I then how does the voltage go to 0 in a matter of few ns?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Are you sure you aren't supposed to create a triangle-wave rather than a saw-tooth from the square-wave? For that the voltage doesn't have to go to 0V in a short time.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Shouldn't this be in the 'Homework Help' forum?
Who says the voltage has to go to 0V?
Consider how you will get the cap to charge linearly, and how you will establish a threshold voltage at which you should start to discharge it.

Last edited:

prabinmetals

Joined Jul 23, 2013
It turns out we have to use the CMOS and make an inverter, but then as said by crustchow, I am getting a saw-tooth wave and it has much less voltage amplitude than the pulsating wave. I changed the capacitor value to 1nF and pulsating wave duty cycle to 90% and got much ramp-like wave. Thanks.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It turns out we have to use the CMOS and make an inverter, but then as said by crustchow, I am getting a saw-tooth wave and it has much less voltage amplitude than the pulsating wave. I changed the capacitor value to 1nF and pulsating wave duty cycle to 90% and got much ramp-like wave. Thanks.
So now I want to hear how you propose to build a 1nF capacitor using your CMOS process :confused: