railway project

new voodoo

Joined Jul 25, 2013
Do you mean hobby/toy trains? or real ones? I would assume the former because the latter would obviously be more of a question for railway engineers..but there are hundreds of possibilities I can think of..and im not that experienced.
just a few offhand:
-sensors: pressure, PIR, any number of types would tell you when theyre at the same pt ,etc
-beam interruption: IR, laser, typical visible freq light, etc-whenever its interrupted you could stop the train, and if the beam is at one place going across both tracks..or two beams 100 meters apart in same line.

you could google, say, pressure sensor or IR emitter, etc and easily find something. I saw an inexpensive exterior-purposed beam on sale at, I think, AllElectronics or electronicssurplus.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I hope they ARE hobby units at 100m apart, not full size units heading toward each other! :eek:
Some kind of radio or wireless detection method might work, I am assuming that it has to work on any track, not just a pre-assigned section?
Max.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
In the future please put a little more effort into constructing a complete and detailed question.

How about 50m rubber bumpers attached to each train? :p

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I think OP means that the trains should come no closer together than 100m, so the system should take speed and braking distance into account, so the rubber bumpers would need to be a bit longer :p

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If we were talking full size locomotive, 100m would in most cases, be out of the question, a lot depends on speed, grade, amount of cars/ loaded/unloaded, but the conservative average for a typical made up train could be around 1 mile stopping distance.
Max.

donpetru

Joined Nov 14, 2008
i needed assistance for the project to stop the trains automatically on the same track 100 meters apart.
I can help you but you must tell me more. I suppose it is a hobby project (built to scale). So we need to clarify several issues:
- What voltage you connect train?
- How you actually made ​​power supply train? You used the contact line or another method?
If you want to keep a minimum distance between two trains then you can:
- Monitor speed trains with a PC and an adjusted accordingly (you can program your PC to do this);
- Control the movement of trains through the railway section control (this solution has several aspects that require modernization).

So, back with more details.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I think OP means that the trains should come no closer together than 100m, so the system should take speed and braking distance into account, so the rubber bumpers would need to be a bit longer :p
Why? he never said anything about a "smooth" stop or anything about braking distance/train weight or passenger comforts :D

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
ever seen the train system in India... safety is the last concern
I guess we shouldn't jump to conclusions, it could be Pakistan? ;)

I wonder if there is a governing body there that most countries have? US-AAR UK-ORR etc.
Any equipment that is aimed at railway safety normally has to be approved?
Max.

I love train travel but it's very underused here in Canada. In other countries it's the only way to get around and is outdated, overcapacity and somewhat hazardous.
As to the OPs problems build a proper crossing or ramp overpass. Nobody is going to stop the trains every time something gets on the tracks, the trains have right of way.

The big problem is often it's just not a priority in developing countries. Too much other stuff needs fixing first.

And yes, it's an obvious student project, it's always railroad crossings, traffic lights or a UPS, once in a blue moon you'll get an elevator.

shweta sharma

Joined Jul 25, 2013
hello. no tym for silly jokes.it was for a project purpose.i wanted to make a project automatic stopping the trains if bt chance 2 comes on the same track by irself by using rf technology.by the way i got hekp from indian railways.. its the largest network and the best..thank you all for your valuable assistance but no longer useful for me.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There was no malice intended, just an attempt at light humour!
As I mentioned, I would consider 100m non-practical unless this was shunting yard?
Max.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Why? he never said anything about a "smooth" stop or anything about braking distance/train weight or passenger comforts :D
I don´t know how you read the original post, but to me "project to stop the trains.. /snip/ ..100 meters apart" means that they will be stationary one hundred meters apart, not that they will start stopping at that distance.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I don´t know how you read the original post, but to me "project to stop the trains.. /snip/ ..100 meters apart" means that they will be stationary one hundred meters apart, not that they will start stopping at that distance.
Ok 51 meter rubber bumpers then :p

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
GPS

It can do what you want. With proper application it can keep trains, that are in communication with each other, running at even closer spacings.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
GPS. With proper application it can keep trains, that are in communication with each other, running at even closer spacings.
Please don't do that just because you can. Everything has a likelihood of failure at some time or another, and train wrecks are very messy!:p