Radio Shack project box standoffs

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
The standoffs in a project box I'm going to use are too close to the top of the box -- I don't see screw threads inside the standoffs so I think I may just cut them down a quarter inch. Has anyone tried this before? I want to make sure I'm not going to render the plastic built-in standoffs inoperable...

Thank you

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I don't know how deep the holes in the standoffs go.

Check the depth using a piece of wire or something before you cut them off. It will be a lot easier to drill them deeper with holes in them, than if the holes are sawed off.

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
Good point, I'll check the depth. Thanks. How do the screws actually 'attach' to the standoffs? Do they create grooves the first time they are screwed in? If that's the case then I should be able to cut down the standoffs, if they are deep enough.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I like the little slides built into these boxes. Cut the board stock to the right width and it slides right in. You didn't mention the size of the box, I've drawn a couple of them as for my PaintCAD package.

I've used the little standoffs too, they are included in the drawing. I cut a machine screw down to ¼" insertion, then let it tap the plastic. Never had any problem with it. I don't remember if it was a #4 or a #6 screw, I keep plenty of both.

These are blank drawings. When I need to lay out a box I start with this and use it to figure where the holes will need cut, along with their shapes. I also use it to make sure everything will fit before I start cutting, it is always a pain to find two parts are overlapping, meaning you either start over with another box or leave an ugly hole after you re-lay it out.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Because of the small depth of insertion you need a fine pitch thread, not a cutting thread like wood or metal screws. The plastic is very soft, so any metal will cut into it with ease. A #6/32 is 32 threads per inch, you will get 8 threads into that hole.

You can remove these screws, but when you want to tighten them, don't. Remember the plastic is soft, just bottom them down without torque.

The primary lid screw are deep, but the plastic is still soft. I've been known to use two ton epoxy on a tooth pick to fill in cracks and let it mostly cure when it happens. You can buy replacement screws from the hardware store.