radio shack booklets (#51/#52)

cafemiguel

Joined Dec 20, 2013
Hello, I'm new to this forum; in the early 90's I helped build several electronics projects for my children school projects. One which i'v been searching is a "light meter with an infra-red eye and a small speaker", you could HEAR the captured light intensity spectrum rather than to measure it's intensity. It was so good it would capture a lighting bug's light wave and also my micro wave spectrum, all this from a small booklet sold at Radio Shack stores in the late 80's. Is there anyone in our electronics world that can help me out??, thank you, Michael C.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I have a Mims notebook and two RS transistor books that I was given while in the hospital in the 80s.

Thought I could put my hands on them.:( All I found was an older RS tube book.

Could be in the attic or lost in a move. I'll keep looking.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
This is pretty crude but it should get you started: You can merely put a Cadmiumdisulphide cell, a speaker and a battery in series and see how that goes. For more sensitivity, you can increase the voltage a little or switch to an earphone.

cafemiguel

Joined Dec 20, 2013
thanks, that just might work for now; Usage of the headphone idea opens up another small project possibility for creating a "high impedance microphone" by adding the carbon core of a dry cell, you'll be able to hear the foot steps of almost any bug out there..thanks again...cafemiguel

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I have a Mims notebook and two RS transistor books that I was given while in the hospital in the 80s.

Thought I could put my hands on them.:( All I found was an older RS tube book.

Could be in the attic or lost in a move. I'll keep looking.
Got in the attic today!

Attachments

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Saw this post and finally got around to digging into my old RadioShack Mims books. I believe the circuit you are looking for is called the Light Listener and can be found in the Science book. It uses a phototransistor to feed a 741 op-amp and then a 386 amp to a speaker.

RadioShack has now merged the small books into larger ones. I believe said circuit can be found in this book currently available at RadioShack.

If I wasn't for the possibility of some sort of copyright infringement, I'd scan and post the circuit. If you don't want to buy the book, I don't think there would be any harm in me redrawing the circuit though - just let me know.

Also found most of the circuit posted here - it omits the op-amp though.