Race Car Traction Control

mitco39

Joined Jun 3, 2013
Hi Guys, I stumbled across this forum after searching for ways to condition a signal in such a way that a aftermarket traction control unit could recognize it and use it for its calculations of wheel speeds.

What is happening is noise is getting introduced into the system through what can only be the factory abs controller. This noise is amplified by the fact that the output of the hall effect sensor is roughly around 1.1 volts, so very minute voltage changes are confusing the traction control brain and making it think that these voltage changes are actual signals from the hall effect sensor. Thus its giving out readouts such as this.

You can see the spikes that are a result of the fluctuating voltage. I borrowed a scope from work and was able to capture this.

You can see that the signal is pretty clean but it is still enough to fool the traction control module. Anyways what I was looking to do is somehow condition the signal (say with a schmitt or possibly a SSR) so that anything above 0.8 volts shows up as say a steady 12-13v (battery voltage) and anything less than that will show up as 0 volts.

I have been reading pages upon pages to try and come up with something like this as well as running a bunch of things through www.circuitlab.com with no luck yet. I am a Mechanical Engineer and electronics have never really been my forte.

Alternatively I can purchase a Canbus to analog converter that will pull the wheel speeds off the data line coming out of the ABS controller, but this setup will run my in the ballpark of $1000 to do.

I am to the point where I would be more than willing to pay for someone to do this for me (whether it be design a system, or design and build a system).

Looking for any help at all.

Thanks

Mitch