Quick/simple time delay relay?

TbirdMan

Joined Apr 18, 2011
ok, so i know just enough about electronics to be dangerous, a fact i hope to change. what i am trying to come up with is a cheap/simple time delay relay. what i am trying to do is have a relay that will be activated by my turn signals and turn a light on that points in the direction of the turn. the only way i have come up with to do this right is to have a time delay relay that will activate when the power comes on, and turn off about 1/2-3/4 sec later. this way every time the turn signal comes on it will "reset" the circuit, and once it turns off it will shut the light off.

Ok, so my idea, and it is rough and i have no idea if it will work. A transistor and a capacitor. the 12V signal charges the capacitor, which turns on the transistor which controls a simple relay. once the power shuts off the capacitor drains until it drops below the transistors voltage threshold and the transistor shuts off the relay and light, is there anything else i am missing, and any idea what kind of parts i would need to make this work?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Suggestion, keep it experimental. This site has rules on automotive modifications that will get this thread closed.

Automotive Guidelines

The other side, is if you want to experiment no one objects, as long as it will not end up in a car.

TbirdMan

Joined Apr 18, 2011
hmm, well, I suppose i can see why they do not want to discuss that, and i will respect the guidelines.

Perhaps some experimental advice to get me pointed in the right direction, and a promise that i will consult with my Physics Professor (who used to teach electronics) before going further?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You are wanting to delay an existing flash rate? The circuit you have would turn on as soon as you get a voltage, but delay turning off the relay.