Quick release 20A terminal block?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Hi, I need a quick release (lever operated) terminal block with 3 or 4 wires, rated for 20A low-voltage DC continuous. Wire conductor diameter is about 2.5 mm to 3 mm.

Something that can be opened with a lever or button and the wires inserted in one fast action. It needs to be fast and easy to use because it is for a test jig for a manufacturer, and also needs to be rated for lots of open/close cycles.

I have seen these loudspeaker connectors commonly available;

and that would function OK but is not suitable for the high current. I would also prefer a single operating lever if possible.

Does anyone know a higher current version of that device, or another quick-release connector for 3 or 4 wires? Thanks!
:)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I had a similar problem in testing alternators at our plant, which had bare wire outputs, and found a unique terminal design that worked fairly well. It look rather like a standard 5-way terminal but the inner metal post was tapered rather like a cone with ridges to help grip the wire. The outer plastic tube was spring-loaded to push it against the top of the cone which was slightly larger than the tube. To insert the wire you simply pushed the plastic tube down and stuck the wire anywhere between the cone and the tube. Then when the tube was released, the wire was tightly held between the tube and the cone.

Unfortunately that was about 40 years ago and I wasn't able to find it with a quick search and, of course, I don't remember who manufactured it.

Perhaps a beefy version of the speaker type terminals would work.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
yep.. wago..phoenix contact..ptr..
all your typical terminal block manufacturers have "lever" or "spring lock" terminal blocks like that..
I see them for 20A+ all the time.

Heck wago 2716 series go up to 60+ Amps and up to 6 AWG wire.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Damn... close. Had the Pomona rep in last week and saw something like this. 4995-0 (black) and 4995-2 (red).

Frightfully expensive at $23USD each, but only rated for 15 amps.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Those lever-style ones like in Inwo's attached image look like they might be best.

That looks like the Wago brand JohnTX mentioned.

Looks like a solution, thanks! :)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The RC plane guys use Deans Plugs- rated at 60 amps continuous and they are under $5 for a two-prog plug and socket pair (one plug horizontal, one vertical for safety).

There are Chinese knockoffs (10-pair for $8) but have trouble with the socket sometimes. Recommendation is to keep those under 40 amps but how knows.