Quick question about shift registers

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
I want to use three 8 bit shift registers to enter / latch 24 bits. I see several 8 bit shift registers on Jameco. Is it normal to 'chain' shift registers together, 3 in my case, to obtain a desired bit width? Or is that not how they work?

Thank you

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
If you are tying them together for an LED matrix, take a look at the Maxim line, they are I2C controlled, and are programmable current sinks for dimming and other features LED billboards use. MAX6956.

I was sent some samples and am extremely impressed, especially since they can be another 28 I/O ports instead of constant current sinks for LED driving, or a mix and match of both I/O and LED current sinks.

jaygatsby

Joined Nov 23, 2011
What I intend to do is have a keypad connected to the shift registers. The registers Sgt gave look like they will work well. I'll use the keypad connected to the chip serial inputs (i'm using 3 chips), and the outputs will go to counters... when the user presses enter on the keypad the jam inputs of the counters will read from the output of the shift registers.