Questions on car ionizer circuit (a.k.a discharge circuit)

lomaikai

Joined Sep 8, 2011
hi all, i'm coming from a mechanical background and was tasked to carry on an electronic project.

Attached is the schematic of the circuit, i tried looking up the net on the respective components and understand how each component works.

I also understand the part after the transformer which is a voltage multiplier circuit, which steps up the 240v from the transformer to several folds.

However, i do not understand how the circuit before the transformer actually works. Greatly appreciate any help! Thanks !

Attachments

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Where is this circuit supposed to be powered from? Directly from the car battery or modified to use the lighter plug?

Is the ionizer supposed to work by creating electrical discharges within the device, producing ions that way? Don't you find that dangerous for a DIY device operating inside the car environment?

lomaikai

Joined Sep 8, 2011
Hi ! this circuit is powered from a dc supply. I'm currently modifying the ionizer to become a high voltage spark plug under a lab environment, not for use in cars, thus safety precautions are taken when executing this project. Met with some problems now, and trying to understand how this circuit component works .

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Top portion - Power supply and indicator.
Middle portion - Amplifier
Bottom portion left - Oscillator

The LCR circuit has a resonant frequency, the lower of the two coils is fed by the push-pull amplifier, which in turn gets feedback from the top winding of the transformer (inductor): (Like a Blocking Oscillator). With the correct component values, especially inductance in the transformer, the circuit will oscillate providing a higher voltage with low current on the secondary side of the transformer, which goes through the diode/capacitor voltage doubling cascade.

lomaikai

Joined Sep 8, 2011
Top portion - Power supply and indicator.
Middle portion - Amplifier
Bottom portion left - Oscillator

The LCR circuit has a resonant frequency, the lower of the two coils is fed by the push-pull amplifier, which in turn gets feedback from the top winding of the transformer (inductor): (Like a Blocking Oscillator). With the correct component values, especially inductance in the transformer, the circuit will oscillate providing a higher voltage with low current on the secondary side of the transformer, which goes through the diode/capacitor voltage doubling cascade.
Thank you so much ! really appreciate it =D