Questions for a LED Taillight Conversion on a NSX

Status
Not open for further replies.

apkarian100

Joined Feb 9, 2009
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum. I do LED taillight conversions for vehicles such as the Acura NSX and Dodge Viper and have come across a snag with the LED taillights.

I am using 272 superflux LEDs per side for the Acura NSX, which draws 4.5A per side. When I went to test the lights on the vehicle, only the right side worked. I thought it might be a problem with the left side taillight, but it wasn't. I tested the left taillight on the right side and it lit up. I then thought I might have blown a fuse, but I didn't because I put the stock lights back in and they lit up fine.

I think LED taillights are drawing too much power from the stock taillight wiring harness, so I was thinking of having a relay type device tghat was triggered by the brake/parking light input, and have the main power to the LEDs come from a fused connection to the battery. I like using the Sharp PQ09RD21 regulators because they have a built in on/off switch that acts as a relay type device whenever the switch is triggered. I would use one Sharp regulator for each 1A of power needed for the LED array. So basically, I'd connect enough LEDs to make a 1A draw, and connect a sharp regulator to it.

So do you guys think this is the best option?

Thank You

So do you guys think this is the best

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.