Questions about the VCVS filter

Kesbin

Joined Dec 9, 2008
Attached are two circuit example. The VCVS filter is on the left hand side. What the effect would be if resistor R4 had been replaced by a capacitor.
The damping factor is affected by the resistors R3,R4, as DF= 2-(R3/R4). Can anyone explain the working properties of right hand side circuit?Thanks!

Attachments

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
Are you sure you have the right hand circuit correct?

You haven't just replaced R4 with a capacitor; it's connected differently. Shouldn't one end of the capacitor go to ground?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The writing of the parts values is so small in the schematics that I can't see them. Please make the values readable and save the image as a very clear GIF or PNG file type instead of as a fuzzy JPG file type.

Kesbin

Joined Dec 9, 2008
I have updated the image. The end should not go to the ground. That's the point i confused. Please help me. Thanks...

Attachments

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
In the left hand circuit, R3 and R4 affect the feedback to the - input.

In the right hand circuit, if the opamp is assumed to be ideal, with infinite input impedance on both the + and - inputs, then R3 and C3 will have no effect whatsoever on the behavior of the circuit. It will be as if the output is connected directly to the - input.

In reality, they will have an effect, but you will have to determine the input impedance and bias current at the - input, perhaps from the data sheet, before you can analyze the true effect of R3 and C3.