Questions about proper PCB design for thermal resistance junction to ambient

blarg

Joined Nov 12, 2012
Hello list members,

I have some questions for the experts here that hopefully you can shed some light on.

I am designing a high output multichannel LED driver with an Arduino, each of the six PWM channels on an ATMega328P are tied to a CAT4104 LED driver (http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=CAT4104) to independently drive at 700mA each high output LED (all of the LED channels on the CAT4140 are tied together to get to that 700mA output rating. The pulse/strobe timing on each LED channel has to be independently controlled via PWM and with minimum ringing or rippling at the LED end.

The common power rail (2.5A or 5A of 12V power) is tied to each of the LED anodes, with the CAT4101 sinking 700mA of PWM pulsed power to each.

According to ON Semi, I should "...calculate the CAT4104 power dissipation based on the formula on Page 14 (Vin*In + VLED*ILED=5V*0.007A + 1.5V*0.7A, leading to 1W when assuming Vin=5V, forward LED voltage=3.5V). The last step is the PCB design assuring the thermal resistance junction to ambient is sufficient low to allow the power generated in the CAT4104."

With designing the PCB, what would be some tips on assuring the thermal resistance junction to ambient is sufficiently low to accommodate all six CAT4104s in a single enclosure without heat dissipation issues? Aluminum clad instead of copper clad PCBs? Heat sinks? Or would active cooling of some sort likely be required?

Lastly I am seeing some significant ringing with views of 20kHz PWM waveforms expanded out to see whole cycles - 5us per division. White LED 650mA, 60cm wire length. I've attached some images of the ringing below, any thoughts on reducing this ringing and rippling would be helpful. I am thinking a smoothing capacitor or in the alternative reducing the wiring length between the CAT4104 (but that would significantly reduce the functionality of the design with short wires).

Any thoughts or help on this would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And this is appropriate for a forum called "Programmer's Corner" how????

You will get a lot more attention if this get's moved over to a more appropriate forum. Don't repost, through. I'll flag it for the moderators who will probably move it pretty quickly.

blarg

Joined Nov 12, 2012
I am not following you. This message was posted to General Electronics Chat in the Electronics Forum...?