Question regarding installation of invisible fencing and alternate ways to attenuate signal

Carolyn Auge

Joined Aug 12, 2019
Hi Everyone,
I hope this is okay to post in this forum. I am not an engineer and lack a basic understanding of electricity. I need just a couple of questions answered and thought maybe someone knew a "general question?" I am trying to install and invisible fence around my property. I have a shed at the rear of the property that would make a great physical boundary, but there is an area that I still have to make active. The only way I can figure out how to lay the wire is around the metal building. The questions are 1) will placing the wire on the shed make the signal stronger or cause some kind of damage and if so, 2) do I or can I even use something that I can place the wire through that will negate the signal through that area (lead pipe, PVC, Fiberglass)???

Thanks in advance.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The invisible fence uses the wire to transmit a radio signal to the collar. If the signal was stronger, it would only cause the collar to activate further away, but it couldn't cause it to produce a larger shock. If it was attenuated, it wouldn't be a problem in your case because there is a physical barrier and the electronic fence is redundant.

There is no reason to expect the transmitter would be damaged because the wire is near a metal structure.

Carolyn Auge

Joined Aug 12, 2019
The invisible fence uses the wire to transmit a radio signal to the collar. If the signal was stronger, it would only cause the collar to activate further away, but it couldn't cause it to produce a larger shock. If it was attenuated, it wouldn't be a problem in your case because there is a physical barrier and the electronic fence is redundant.

There is no reason to expect the transmitter would be damaged because the wire is near a metal structure.
Thank you so much. So what can I use to attenuate it??? Can I just duct tape the wire to the metal building 10 feet above so that the signal field would not interfere with the collar? Sorry if I am using incorrect terminology

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thank you so much. So what can I use to attenuate it??? Can I just duct tape the wire to the metal building 10 feet above so that the signal field would not interfere with the collar? Sorry if I am using incorrect terminology
You probably don't need to attenuate it.

If for some reason it interacts badly and does need that, I would try something like metal conduit though I suspect that might not survive for an extended time buried. However, I really don't think you will need to do it.

Carolyn Auge

Joined Aug 12, 2019
You probably don't need to attenuate it.

If for some reason it interacts badly and does need that, I would try something like metal conduit though I suspect that might not survive for an extended time buried. However, I really don't think you will need to do it.
Thanks for everything

Carolyn Auge

Joined Aug 12, 2019
Have you considered a GPS-based version? I wanted my dog to have a larger range (20 acres). In the end, he was very smart and didn't need it. :)

Search on: smartphone or virtual invisible fence

Here is one of many: https://spotoncollar.com/products/spoton-collar

Even "Invisible Fence" is in that game.
I talked with them and the minimum site size is 5 acres...go figure. I only have 2.5 acres. But......I did hear something about masking??? I have to go look it up and see what that means :))

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
We used the RF fence. As long as there was an RF signal it would not shock, but any blip in the power could drop the signal. Then our boneheaded Lab would sometimes just run right out full speed ahead and damn the signal. It does give an audible warning several feet before administering the shock and the shock has 5? settable levels. She started at level 1 and ended up with level 5 within 2 years of use.