Question on Wireless Switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bhaazee, May 13, 2012.

1. bhaazee

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Assuming that a light bulb is connected to an AC power source through a simple electrical switch, its easy to understand how the circuit works.

But now, I "also" want to control the switching activity wirelessly (via IR or Internet or BT, etc.). This means, the same light bulb should be able to be controlled either through a mechanical switch or through some electronic circuit.
    How can this be made? (Although the light bulb in this case, will be controlled via two switches I believe the way both the switches are connected is not like a two way switch). I believe this is the way, how an home automation system works.

I just want to understand the working logic behind. Hence I have put forth my query.

Regards

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    So you have an electronic controller to control a light.

The light can be operated from two locations.

Draw the boolean logic table for this function.
    You have two inputs, one we label A and the second we label B.
    You have a single output we can label X.
    Fill in the values of the table for X for all possible conditions of A and B.

If you are not familiar with boolean logic you can read up on this in the AAC Tutorials:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_7/1.html

What you are looking for is called an Exclusive OR function or gate.

3. bhaazee

Mar 3, 2012
    remembering my basics which I studied during bachelors

If possible could you illustrate me with some hardware example. Simply put, I was speaking about a two way switch. But I am asking if there is any electronic device (say some kind of transistor or MOSFET kind of electronic device) that performs the operation of a two way switch.

and thanks for the reply.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    The answer is in post #2.

I am referring to a two-way switch.

The solution is called an Exclusive OR gate.

5. bhaazee

Mar 3, 2012
    Sorry. Have only learnt about logic gates. Haven't really seen such physical gates. Hence could not grasp your point.

Thanks again

6. Bernard

Expert

Aug 7, 2008
    Might consider a common receiver feeding a toggle flip-flop which controls the light. One push of either transmitter, & light goes on- second push light goes off.