Question on Diodes and their datasheet parameters

Management

Joined Sep 18, 2007
I know Schottky Diodes are faster. But which parameter determines how much voltage or how high a voltage can be rectified?

For example, if you have a 50 V peak AC wave and a 200 V peak AC wave what makes one diode capable and the other one not? Especially by reading the datasheet parameters.

Is it the reverse breakdown voltage? The rectified forward current? Etc.
How does the frequency of the wave come into affect?

If you know which, CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHY so that I can understand this going forward?

Thank you very much.

By the way, I've read the allaboutcircuits section on diodes.

Management

Joined Sep 18, 2007
Thanks bertus. That page is a great resource.

I've read your attached file and already understand what is in there, but I am just having a hard time correlating everything I know with the parameters that give away which diodes are capable of rectifying different AC voltages.

Anyone else want to chime in?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
PIV or Peak Inverse Voltage/Reverse Breakdown Voltage is the highest voltage before breakdown, You want to stay above the highest anticipated peak, typically 4x peak voltage in non-inductive pulse situations.

Most power rectifiers have a PIV of 1kV, but are "slow", i.e. not capable of stopping current in nanoseconds, which is needed for fast logic. They work ok under 1kHz AC (1 mS peroid, 500uS cycle), but are generally designed with 110-240V at 50-120Hz in mind.

Sine Peak voltage = √2 * VRMS

Period = 1/f

Cycle = 1/(2f)

Last edited:

Management

Joined Sep 18, 2007
PIV or Peak Inverse Voltage/Reverse Breakdown Voltage is the highest voltage before breakdown, You want to stay above the highest anticipated peak, typically 4x peak voltage in non-inductive pulse situations.

Most power rectifiers have a PIV of 1kV, but are "slow", i.e. not capable of stopping current in nanoseconds, which is needed for fast logic. They work ok under 1kHz AC (1 mS peroid, 500uS cycle), but are generally designed with 110-240V at 50-120Hz in mind.

Sine Peak voltage = √2 * VRMS

Period = 1/f

Cycle = 1/(2f)
I see what your saying. So what Schottky Rectifying Diodes do you recommend for 64 MHz signals with 100 V peak and some 300 V peak?

How about On Semi's MUR120?

Reverse Voltage 600V
75 Nanosec. Recovery Times
1 Amp

Thanks.

Or please suggest the specs that I should look for to meet those requirements and I'll sure for the diodes.